Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Converting a Skylight to a Window?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi forum. I'm using AC11.
Anyone knows how to create a dome shaped window? (by dome I mean the glass is an actual dome which sticks out and not flat)

I've tried selecting the dome skylight(skylight round 11)and converting it to a window/door component but it either displays it flat or gives multiple errors which causes it not to work.

Since skylights only work with roofs, one of the solution is to make my roof 90 degrees and treat it as a wall, but then again..it isnt' a wall.

Thanks, please reply asap.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
well, ive tried using a 90 degrees roof and heh, the result is pretty bad. so that is a nono.
Anonymous
Not applicable
any ideas guys?
Djordje
Ace
fields wrote:
well, ive tried using a 90 degrees roof and heh, the result is pretty bad. so that is a nono.
Did you try 89.99 degrees?

Then again - modeling this window is about three minutes ... half a sphere with the glass material, the frame around it made with a slab, and a round slab with the same diameter as the frame slab with the WALLHOLE ID.

You do know how to make custom windows, right? If not, please do a search ... and also, fill in your signature!

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for ur suggestion. I tried to make a custom window using slabs as the frame and a dome roof for the window.

But how does one link the thickness of the frame to make it editable like a normal window? Because my current window allows me to make changes to the thickness but it doesnt have any effect on it.
Dwight
Newcomer
That's because a window object or whatever has been 'scripted' to make it 'parametric' using the GDL language particular to Archicad.

When you make a window from predetermined elements, all you can do is scale it as a unit.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
fields wrote:
thanks for ur suggestion. I tried to make a custom window using slabs as the frame and a dome roof for the window.
Well ... half the sphere would be better, as it is not faceted, but if it works for you ...

No, parametrics are not very extensive when you model an object. It can be built in, however, by editing it later ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen