Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Access to profiles from GDL objects!

Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as I know I cannot use the profiles defined through the profile manger in my GDL objects.
That's really too bad as it could be a great to way to make some objects really dynamic. It could be a step towards a graphic Interface to GDL.
10 REPLIES 10
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
you can use custom components. You can create custom components from a complex profile then bring them into your library part
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ho ho ! sounds good ! I'll look into that.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Have you tried dragging the fills from the Profile Manager Editing Window and dropping it into the 2D Script of the GDL Object?
That should generate the GDL code for the section profile.
I have not tried this, but in principle it should work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes there is this method, but I'm after a way to use profiles in GDL objects that can be changed graphically, without going through using code.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't resist telling you an idea as it could be so simple to implement in Archicad and could give such big possibilities:

In the choices under "save as components" you could just implement a new one called "profile", which would be a GDL script with the coordinates of the 2d fill, or the slab, selected on the plan. Then it is our job to use them in our objects

Of course it would be even easier to give us a way to use in objects the stored profiles.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Olivier wrote:
In the choices under "save as components" you could just implement a new one called "profile", which would be a GDL script with the coordinates of the 2d fill, or the slab, selected on the plan. Then it is our job to use them in our objects
Try the OBJECTiVE add-on. You can easily create and modify profiled GDL objects (swept, extruded, etc):
  • 1) Draw a fill with the required profile and use the menu OBJECTiVE/Component/New Profile to create a new profiled object
    2) You can obtain a fill with the profile shape at any time with OBJECTiVE/Component/Extract Profile, edit the shape, and reapply it with OBJECTiVE/Component/Change Profile
Refer to the attached image. For more info, take a look at: http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Profiling.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
This Objective add on is really impressive!
It would fit my objective and a lot more. But my idea was to be able to use these profiles in my own objects, by choosing them as a parameter, and i'm not sure i can do that here.
It is so simple that it should be inside AC.
But Objective looks really great anyway, I have to try it.
Erich
Contributor
Oliver,

Depending on just what it is you want to do, Laszlo suggestion works quite well. I use this method for trims for my doors. It only takes a few seconds to create a new profile and apply it to the door. However, you have to know GDL and you need to take some care on how you set up the part.

That said, Objective provides much greater on the fly freedom that writing GDL for a specific part.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Karl Ottenstein
OT ... beautiful example of proper wood grain orientation on the door panel, Erich. It is a shame that after all of these years, no Graphisoft doors/windows do this for the panels or frames and that the user has to do it him/herself.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB