Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

any help RE...custom roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Can anyone please help , im trying to create a custom roof for a thatre and cant for the life of me work it out, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Picture 13.png
7 REPLIES 7
TMA_80
Enthusiast
IMHO , it really depends on what level of details you are going to do:

you could draw using the slab tool ( giving it the roof thiknes) and then detach the section from the model and draw the details in 2D.
OR using the complex profil using the hatch tool draw the details and then apply the profile to a beam anD thus you will have the detail in 3d .

hope it helps
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for that, is as complicated as it sounds, im new to Archicad, as you see from my model i need to tilt the floor on the third floor, i was told that i should do a custom floor?? i dont know where to start?
TMA_80
Enthusiast
are you talking about the sloped part , if so, have a look at this totorial about complex profiles use :

http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2006/issue12-archicad.html

(it is not the one dwight gave you in the other post but an additional one )
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks all for you advice,buts its all way to complex for my knowledge of this program, think im gonna have accept defeat and get back to vectorworks
Erika Epstein
Booster
Paul,
Don't give it up. All of these programs take time to learn. You have several posts here asking about modeling and theaters are among the more complicated to model. Think about how the building is going to be built.

How much training have you had? Have you gone through the training videos? Is there an archicad user group near you? Is there another archicad user near you (UK as a location is a bit general)?

When I look at the roof, I see the ceiling, above it joists and above them the roof decking. If the roof is an plane, sloped or flat, you can make a custom profile. And/or you can model the elements separately e.g. the joists which you can use SEO's to subtract their volume from the roof composite...
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erika,I dont think Archicad has enough support in place yet in the uk. im in London and just spent 2 hours trynig to find a single training course, the only one- £600 for two days in Nottingham? 150 miles away, An 8 week Vectorworks class in London is £36, Rhino courses are free! i emailed and called Graphisoft 3 days ago about training and still no response. This is the hardest program ever to learn on your own. you need to be trained nothing is user friendly. I do appreciated your help though. best Paul
Erika Epstein
Booster
Paul,
Now that you have identified where in the UK you are, hopefully someone nearby will be in touch. There are quite a few archicad users over there. It is a complex program, they all are, but what you can accomplish with it worth the investment.
In the meantime, keep posting.

I was just logging in to correct my earlier post. With intersection priorities you can often avoid the SEO command and get a clean differentiation between elements.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"