Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

slabs and roofs should be affected by skin priorities

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is possible to assign a composite structure to a floor slab or a roof. Why not make it so roofs and slabs use the skin priorities that are associated with those composites? This would make it much easier to control the intersection between floors, roofs and walls. As it is now, the only way I have figured out how to get the above result is to make a complex profile wall with the sheathing and siding hanging down over the band, which means you are stuck with a seam at each floor level.

wallandslab.JPG
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
this shows how the image below would look if slabs used priorities.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I have been nagging it for ages. No result, sorry!
Anonymous
Not applicable
This problem means that my office resorts to 2d drafting for all of its sections. Of course this wouldn't completely eliminate that need but it would help a lot.
Djordje
Ace
dmn wrote:
this shows how the image below would look if slabs used priorities.
It does not. It is all black.

Your wish is very valid and important. However, I feel that the old drafting ways are embedded too deep in your practice. The black background says so. Also, implementing the correct modeling techniques (walls should NEVER go through slabs - or any element should not go through any other - which they seem to do on your black squares) would solve most if not all of your problems.

You don't seem to let ArchiCAD help you, but want to force it to mimic what you are used to.

Fills of the same materials do join if the model is correct - and elements touch each other instead of crashing though each other.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Djordje wrote:
Also, implementing the correct modeling techniques (walls should NEVER go through slabs - or any element should not go through any other - which they seem to do on your black squares) would solve most if not all of your problems.
Or, if they go through each other, you can use SEOs to cut one out of the other.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Djordje,
Djordje wrote:
It does not. It is all black.
Djordje wrote:
I feel that the old drafting ways are embedded too deep in your practice. The black background says so.
I've seen gray backgrounds, I've seen blue ones. I'd love to draft on a white background and use actual lineweights instead of cad colors to draft, but for the moment what actually works, works. How is this relevant to the current discussion? (Redundant question)
Djordje wrote:
Also, implementing the correct modeling techniques (walls should NEVER go through slabs - or any element should not go through any other - which they seem to do on your black squares) would solve most if not all of your problems.
pardon the quick modeling techniques, I was just trying to show that priorities don't work on slabs.

One way my firm gets around the problem of walls and slabs not intersecting is as you say, keep the slab inside the wall, cover the intersection with a fill and draft over it.
Djordje wrote:
You don't seem to let ArchiCAD help you, but want to force it to mimic what you are used to.
If I'm used to my drawings making sense to a contractor or a structural engineer, and communicating correctly what I am thinking, then yes.

For the record the 'correct' version is also missing the band and top and bottom plates, but that's a whole other wish.

Djordje wrote:
Fills of the same materials do join if the model is correct - and elements touch each other instead of crashing though each other.
With walls but not slabs or roofs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Djordje wrote:
Or, if they go through each other, you can use SEOs to cut one out of the other.
yes this works as long as all the layers of the operator should all end at the same point in the target, otherwise you need precedences to make a decent looking intersection. I've also tried building the "empty" spot into a complex profile, which I think works best, and results in the "correct image," but is just as backwards as filling and drafting.
Anonymous
Not applicable
"slabs and roofs should be affected by skin priorities" plus beams and columns too...
skin prop for slab,roof,beam,column.jpg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you want plaster on that Column use the Veneer option for it.
Use for Veneer the same fill as used for the plaster skin of the adjoining Wall. That way the plasters will blend.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27