Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

inaccuracy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good Afternoon.

I´ve been using Archicad 12 for quite sometime now and recently encountered some problems regarding inaccuracy:

On a file I am working on I started to notice discrepancies for instance, wall are like 1 degree squewed so they dont exactly match the limits of the slabs for instance.

For some reason the main directions are not accurate.

I have tried to start the file fresh but after a while these inaccuracies start to appear.

If anyone know what may be the cause of this situation I would be very grateful.

Thank you.
27 REPLIES 27
Any CAD software is as acurate as the weakest link - the oparator 😉

When using SHIFT to lock orthogonal directions please looka at the tracker or coords palette....You have probably, by accident, locked the direction that is "almost" 0 / 90 degrees (maybe something drawn "by hand" not by snap or by typing in the coords).
Back to the point look on the tracker while drawing - and check if the direction is orthogonal or it is your selected direcion.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes the operator is always guilty, and it is his fault if he is not able to model a blob with archicad.😉
No seriously there is an issue with AC and accuracy. Not that AC is not accurate, but the way the interface is done makes it (very) difficult to notice and avoid small inaccuracies in angles or point snaps.

I'm sorry to say that is maybe the only feature where Autocad is better than AC, but that is an important feature.

Please Graphisoft make this better as there are a lot us annoyed by that, and a lot that don't dare to say it.

When you have used Autocad you miss this feeling of being secure when you zoom in .
Djordje
Ace
The weakest part of a workstation is between the chair and the monitor ... and it's not the keyboard

Accuracy is OK as long as you follow the coordinates and use ONLY snaps. No eyeballing ... in ANY software!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje you repeat the same thing as Piotr, it's getting boring.
We are not saying that AC is not accurate, but that it is not as easy and pleasant to be accurate as in some other programs, and for that precise matter I feel better in A...CAD. And I'm sorry to say I'm not the only one
Chazz
Enthusiast
MERCY wrote:
If anyone know what may be the cause of this situation I would be very grateful..
I don't know what can cause it but we had a new guy here who was let loose with the software and somehow his whole project was about 1.x degrees off and holding the shift key only constrained to the weird angle. The Mouse constraints were still 45 and 90 degrees. I was baffled. He decided to use VectorWorks instead....

So even though I can't reproduce the problem on my own, I'm not so quick to designate this a pbcak issue

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pbcak
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is completely true. I assembled a plan consisting of basically a bunch of boxes. I snapped the corners to each other, using only the check mark snap indicator. And yet our civil engineer sent it back citing inaccuracy. Upon zooming in to where I can't zoom any further, I found that nearly every box was slightly off. This is not an operator issue, this is an Archicad issue with inaccurate snapping.

Since I've originally posted this, I've learned to set my tolerance to the max of 1/64" (I wish I could set it higher than that...), and have learned that the lines drawn in my attachment are in fact off. What under a lower drawing tolerance had been perceived by Archicad as parallel and 28' is in fact off by 1/32" in the y coordinate. In reality, such a discrepancy is minor, but in the course of a large building it starts to add up until you can't figure out why you're off 1/2" or perhaps worse.

Ultimately, Archicad should have higher tolerances and should set the snaps to be more sensitive. It should not tell me that I am snapping to a corner (element snaps on) if I'm not really snapped.
ARCHICAD INACCURACY.png
Dennis Lee
Booster
Well, I have to give one more vote for pbcak on this one. All the cad software I've used before has had these kinds of problems, and I don't think it's because all of them had accuracy errors.

Used to drive me crazy when I dimension plans / details drawn by someone else on autocad and give me all kinds of weird dimensions. Usually it's because people used the "near" osnap, which I never understood why it was there. Anyway, Archicad has similar snaps, guidelines, etc., so you just need to know what each of the symbols mean when you draw it in the first place. Solid pencil, good. Solid check mark good. Mercedes symbol, sometimes not that good, and so on...
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
kgrossman wrote:
Since I've originally posted this, I've learned to set my tolerance to the max of 1/64" (I wish I could set it higher than that...), and have learned that the lines drawn in my attachment are in fact off. What under a lower drawing tolerance had been perceived by Archicad as parallel and 28' is in fact off by 1/32" in the y coordinate. In reality, such a discrepancy is minor, but in the course of a large building it starts to add up until you can't figure out why you're off 1/2" or perhaps worse.

Ultimately, Archicad should have higher tolerances and should set the snaps to be more sensitive. It should not tell me that I am snapping to a corner (element snaps on) if I'm not really snapped.
A few questions to help diagnose the problem - How did you draw the lines originally? What is the angle that the lines are drawn at? Is it a nice round figure, or arbitrary? Did you use the background grid to snap to? Did you use shift to lock the lines at the angle when drawing. Did you use temporary guide lines. Where are you setting this 'tolerance' you mention?

It would be helpful if you could describe the process where this inaccuracy consistently occurs so the rest of us can try to reproduce this problem.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Another place to check is your Cursor snap range. You find this in
Work environment>Mouse constraints and Methods>Cursor snap range

Until recently AC out of the box default was at 3 pixels. Recent versions sets this at 5 pixels. I found seen many people often snapping to the wrong point because of this coupled with them not zooming in as much as they should. We all have scroll mice to zoom in and out.

Needless to say I reset it.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"