Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Copy to clipboard - long delay in ArchiCAD 11 Win

Anonymous
Not applicable
May be it can be interesting for somebody...

ArchiCAD has different copy to clipboard logics for simple primitives (as lines, arcs, etc.) and construction elements. So, you can face unexpected delays during clipboard copying.

You can easily reproduce this effect in ArchiCAD 11 (I've tested at WinXP platform):
1. Open a new file, based on the standard template.
2. Delete elevations - just for simplicity.
2. Draw a simple line.
3. Multiply the line by matrix 99x99. It'll be 10,000 lines on your plan.
4. Draw a wall anywhere.
Comparing:
5. Select all the lines and copy to the clipboard. It takes about 1-2 sec.
6. Select the lines and the wall and copy again. It takes about 8-9 sec!

What is the reason for this difference? I've found out that ArchiCAD saves different amount of information into clipboard in these cases. And the difference is about 6 Mb vs. 11 Mb. for AC 11 and 1.5 Mb vs. 3 Mb for AC 12.

So, you can experience long delays in AC 11, if you have a lot of simple primitives on your plan and try to copy them through clipboard with even one additional construction element. My user, who have more than 30,000 lines on her plan, found the delay terrible - it was about 30 sec.

Thanks for much more compact data representation in AC 12, it isn't an important issue for this version. But still, the copying logics are different.

I'll be very thankful if somebody explains the reason of the clipboard format difference and the difference itself.
2 REPLIES 2
David Shorter
Advisor
11 introduced a multi app copy /paste process which was great when copying to other applications but a real pain copying and pasting from one story to another. Unfortunately it had the effect of slowing everything down. The fix is to change the copy settings in the registry (I think there is a wiki article on this)
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
The fix is to change the copy settings in the registry (I think there is a wiki article on this)
I guess you mean this article: http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Speed%20problems%20in%20copy-paste%20operations

I have known about this issue. But it isn't the reason of this delay. The paradox is - adding one (!) additional element increases delay more than twice! It's not about rasterization (putting raster image to the clipboard), I think.

So, ArchiCAD's internals are dark

Cheers,
Leo