Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Cutting a part of a profiled sheet. How?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to cut a part of my profiled sheet. Take a look at the picture:

How can i do that? Just to add, that the cutted part needs to me round (it is a part of an circles arc).
I tried using Solid Elements operations, and intersect my profiled sheet with the wall in a shape of arc, and then tried to extrude (just extrude, and with downwards, and upwards extrusion) but as i though so, i didn`t worked (it worked in a way that the part of the profiled sheet where it intesects the wall, was extruded, and i wanted to extrude it in that area plus the whole left part).

How can i do this? Please help.

Thanks for the reply.
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
"The layer I use (as shown here) is also set to wire frame view."
Can I just repeat what John said?
"Good idea."
Use seo a lot, but never thought of that.
lec
ps
John;
Is you music uploaded somewhere to listen to?
Aussie John
Newcomer
Hi Lec you could try
http://www.macjams.com/artist/Aussie+John
is a few years old. (I like to think I'm a bit better now!!)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip Barry Kelly. It worked. Thanks mate.

Now, if i can make another question please, i hope i won`t make you mad guys. I want to make different kind of roof on the same floor plan. The roof needs to be curved. Here is my previous project, just to give you a shot of what i a trying to do:

image1
image2
image3

I done this roof with the Roof command (Geometry method: Barrel Vaulted). I have also made it with .gsm file, but when i tried to cut of the curtain wall that intersects with the roof, i got some error message, wich repeats every time i open that file. So it seems that created it with Roof command (Geometry method: Barrel Vaulted) was better option.
All that went well, but then i had a rectangulare floor plan, and now i have a bit complicated one. Here is a preview of what i want to do with my present floor plan:

here

How can i do that? Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry about cutting in line on topic.
Nice recordings John.
Even though I'm not a big country fan, I especially liked your Country cut.
Sometimes life really is more than just buildings, thank goodness!
Take care.
Be safe out there.
lec
Dwight
Newcomer
Curved, arching roof elements are best made with the complex profile extruded as a wall. The results are smooth, not faceted like the roof tool makes.

In the case of the curved edge, an SEO is the way to edit the shape.

Once the design is complete, save the SEO'd roof element as an Object and substitute it for the original by turning off the original complex profile layer and SEO layer.

This corrects the shape in plan.

For quick edits, restore the original layer views and re-save the changed roof element to update the correctly depicted object.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Curved, arching roof elements are best made with the complex profile extruded as a wall. The results are smooth, not faceted like the roof tool makes.

In the case of the curved edge, an SEO is the way to edit the shape.

Once the design is complete, save the SEO'd roof element as an Object and substitute it for the original by turning off the original complex profile layer and SEO layer.

This corrects the shape in plan.

For quick edits, restore the original layer views and re-save the changed roof element to update the correctly depicted object.
Thanks for the help Dwight, i realy own you.
The problem is, i haven`t understood you quite well.
How can i create complex profile extruded as a wall? By drawing it with 2d lines, and then making a slab of it?
How can i create a curved edge with Solid Elements Operator?

Sorry for disturbance, but i realy haven`t understood you. Can you please be more specific. If you find it dificult, and not propriate (as you have already gave me an answer) i will understand. Thanks mate.
Barry Kelly
Nedostizni,
Do a bit of searching for "curved roof" or "complex profile".
Here are a couple of quick links but there are many more that explain further.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=155454&highlight=curved+roof#155454

This one has a link to an Archicadwiki article on complex profiles.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=138290&highlight=curved+roof#138290

Learning how to create and use complex profiles can be very handy for all sorts of situations.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11