Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

IE Tool>"Detect and Fit to Zones"

Craig Bagley
Contributor
AC11/U.S version Build 1210, on a Mac:

I have a complex ceiling profile, trimmed by a number of beams and a slab (used as a dropped ceiling). Not really that complicated, though. I set the Zone Height to the highest ceiling plane, then trim from there. I use the 3D Window to check out the Zone. It looks correct. I then set up the Interior Elevations, using "Detect and Fit to Zones" for the vertical range. Problems:

1. The ceiling elements used to trim the zone disappear (as expected), but there's no defining boundary line for the IE where I would expect an "edge".

2. Sometimes, the wall boundary defining the limit of the IE disappears (sometimes not).

In other words, between 1 and 2, there's no complete boundary line defining the graphic limits of an IE.

3. Some of the IEs in a group will generate, some won't.

In general, the behavior with "Detect and Fit to Zones" seems erratic. I can use the "Limited" vertical range, but then have to do some editing. Obviously not insurmountable, but am I missing something with "Detect and Fit to Zones"?
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
16 REPLIES 16
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could you post one or more screenshots that illustrate the problems you are facing?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Craig Bagley
Contributor
IEs generated with vertical range set to "Limited". I've noted the boundary line I'm trying to achieve with "Detect and Fit to Zone".

More screenshots to follow.

Thanks, Laszlo, for the help.
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Would be helpful to click all the right buttons first. This is the first screenshot described above.
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Here's what IEs look like with vertical range set to "Detect and Fit to Zone":
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Here's the floor plan of the space:
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Craig Bagley
Contributor
And the Zone as trimmed:
Zone.png
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have 2 additional questions:
1. Who did you achieve this shape for the Zone: did you Trim it by a Roof or did you use SEO? If SEO, do you have the Consider Solid Operations checkbox checked in the IE Settings Dialog?
2. Where are the Interior Elevation Lines? Could you turn on the View\On-Screen View Options\Marker Range toggle and post another image of the Floor Plan View?

Even if these questions are answered you might still have to send this file to support. It may contain a situation that AC cannot handle.
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Laszlo:

Apologies for the delay in responding.
1. Who did you achieve this shape for the Zone: did you Trim it by a Roof or did you use SEO? If SEO, do you have the Consider Solid Operations checkbox checked in the IE Settings Dialog?
The Zone was trimmed to a Slab (dropped ceiling) as well as a number of elements to make up the gap between the lower and higher ceiling (two beams and a slab).

2. Where are the Interior Elevation Lines? Could you turn on the View\On-Screen View Options\Marker Range toggle and post another image of the Floor Plan View?
New screenshot below:
Plan2.png
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
From the image I do not see anything wrong with the IE lines or anything.
So it is possible you created a scenario that AC cannot correctly handle.
I suggest that you report this as a possible bug to your local reseller.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!