Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modelling a building form

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any ideas on how to model the attached building form...
Area of concern; I have one wall that starts at a 45 degree at one end and is 70 degrees at the other end.

One idea was to use the mess tool and use solid operations. The mess tool works with triangulation and give the wrong result.

Any help would be greatful.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brendon

Keep it simple, use a slab for the overall form and then use roofs as your SEO's.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i don't think a roof plane will be able to do that (45 at one end and gradually up to 70 at teh other..)

pretty sure there was a question about a similar thing a few weeks back.. ill have a look and see if i can find it..
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah the roof does become a mater of rotating the pitching line to get those different angles.
In rethinking it all though I would model it in sketchup and import it!
It will be substantially quicker!
Anonymous
Not applicable
rotating it wont work either if the base line needs to be perpendicular to the opposite side

objective add on would do it (never use it but iv seen it do similar things)
Anonymous
Not applicable
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=28900

thats the thread i was thinking of.. not sure if theres much of an answer in there for you tho..
Anonymous
Not applicable
GeNOS,
The link proved to be of some use. The post by Steve Jepson (inserted below) is what I'm after then I can use SEO.

How is this done??? Is this done with the API called OBJECTIVE?

is the wall you want something like this except with windows ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

skewed top of wall.png
Description:

Filesize: 11.27 KB
Viewed: 609 Time(s)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

512MB nVidia 2500FX M
Anonymous
Not applicable
The easiest answer, you couldn't do that as a wall in ArchiCad. Or you could, I tried that ones and I make a reaaaally thick wall and then create a mesh that I rotate 90 degress and cut the wall with that seo. But it doesnt look very nice in plan-view though..
But, if you really need it, then make it in 3d studio / Cinema4d or similiar and then place the object in your modell. And draw the 2d parts with 2d tools in ArchiCad manually.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
brendon wrote:
Any ideas on how to model the attached building form...
Area of concern; I have one wall that starts at a 45 degree at one end and is 70 degrees at the other end.
Yes, the OBJECTiVE add-on can model this quite simply, although the 'wall' will be a GDL object. Profiles created with OBJECTiVE have parameters to twist the cross section along its length. If you refer to the attached image:
  • 1) The built-in 'Regular Profile' object can be used for a simple form like this - note the starting twist angle is 45 degrees, and the end is twisted back 25 degrees to take it back to an angle of 70 degrees from level.
    2) The result in 3D
    3) And the same in plan - the 2D representation is exactly coordinated with the 3D
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph,
That is exactly what I'm after. And to have you show that "Objective" works in this way is great. I will be purchasing this add-on as it has many great options.

Thanks to all the others for their advise as well.

Brendon