Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to model this ...??? HELP!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys, I need to show some wood panels below an arch opening how do I model this, please see sketch below.. Thanks a lot in advanced for you help!!

Scan2.jpg
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
WOW 😮 they look great, but I'm still a little confused on how Erika created the coffers and trimmed the edges with a custom profile, for the arched part and how to curve the custom profile, is it done separately? because on mine I made the rectangle with a wall with a custom profile but I could not bend it to make it fit the arch... can you guys explain that part again.. my brain it's working slower now to many polys in my head... hehehe it's been a whole day figuring this thing out... thanks a lot Matthew an Erika you guys are the best!!! and Matthew if you can explain your method to do the curved part...

and a noob question Erika how did you put the standard casing on the opening can't find that option on my openings..???
Erika Epstein
Booster
Attached is an exploded 3D view labeled in the 3D document window. I hope it makes it clearer.
I tend to prefer slabs to walls when doing things like this. I could have made it with walls and cut holes with door or window openings
in fact I made this coffer both ways. Well, I started, but the wall method was taking to long.
Anything that are multiples I create one and, you guessed it, multiplied it. cmd/ctrl+U is a great time saver. I did one side of the arch and then mirrored it to get the other.
The arch portion I made similarly, one int. support rotating copies, etc.

The custom profiles I created for the trim around the coffer are mirror images so I can draw the bottom leg, drag a copy up and then apply the mirror image so the trim faces down towards the original one.

Most of this was done in the 3D window. Only when I was placing the vert. trims in the arch and some rotating were easier to do in the plan window.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika Epstein
Booster
Originally I applied the horiz. custom profiles to the wall. This left no line where they intersect the vert. sides made with the column tool . I changed the walls to beams and the beam's natural cutting section (intersection priority) trimmed columns creating a line where they intersect.

Remember, this is just one way to accomplish this. Challenge yourself by thinking through the pieces from which in real life the coffered arch will be constructed.

HTH
3 beam v. wall for horiz..jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
onsnapcad wrote:
...and Matthew if you can explain your method to do the curved part...
The curves are made with walls. In fact it's all made of walls except the columns for the vertical trims in the assembly model (which become the horizontals in the installed door) and the slab for making the wall opening.

There is a limitation to this method though. The walls and columns as panel trims don't clean up quite right at the corners if there are any undercuts in the profile. For example ovolos and ogees work fine but beads and band moldings fill in a bit badly at the corners.

Otherwise the walls and columns clean up nicely and automatically (no need for SEOs).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks a lot Erika and Matthew really saved my day!!! I really appreciate your dedication and help!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
now another challenge, thanks to the help from Erika and Matthew I was able to create the arches including one with an ellipse, but now another thing came up.. javascript:emoticon(':?')how do I model the same coffer detail for the three arches that are in a curved wall, is there a way to bend an object any ideas... thanks!!
Picture 8.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was afraid you were going to come up with this one next. Compound curves are a real bu##er. Unfortunately there is no way to bend a profile in two directions at once. The only solutions I can think of are serious GDL, C4D (or similar), or Objective (Ralph Wessel's magic tool). Archiforma or the profile tool from CADiimage.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
onsnapcad wrote:
now another challenge, thanks to the help from Erika and Matthew I was able to create the arches including one with an ellipse, but now another thing came up.. javascript:emoticon(':?')how do I model the same coffer detail for the three arches that are in a curved wall, is there a way to bend an object any ideas... thanks!!
OBJECTiVE can easily handle profiled compound curves - I posted an example at the following link: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=162032&highlight=#162032
Ralph Wessel BArch