Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

make my elevations sing !!!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have the elevations on, checked the cut line - we have the sun & shadow as in 3d window, vectorial sun shadow ticked, and they still look flat and not bright enough even though we have the sun straight at it ? ? ??

Any thoughts would be a help

Merry Xmas

Myles
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
is it possible that cover fills are off in the model view options ?

if you have colors displayed in the elevation ..then its not the issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Myles,

I find that the internal engine is always flat, useful for many occasions. However, to perk it up:

1 - Render your view in both: internal engine and Open GL with all other settings equal (especially the pixel size of image).
2 - Open both in Photoshop, copy+paste Int Eng image into Open GL image.
3 - Ensure internal engine view is on top, set layer opacity to 50%.
4 - Save as to create a jpeg image and place in AC layout.

Voila, some sparkle returns, via the stronger whites that are available in the Open GL 3D method.

Snap.
PS change the layer blend mode to "multiply" for a slightly stronger effect. If the darks are the issue then try another blend mode.
Front elevation-3d.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Myles,

In >Elevation Selection Settings > Model Display > Uncut Elements > Fill uncut surfaces with..." check the "Own material colors (Non-Shaded)"

In my elevations that produces a wider range from dark to light than "Own material colors (Shaded)". This setting alone should help.

BETTER: careful selection of the internal engine color setting will increase the vividness of the elevation. To do this edit only the internal engine color settings; here: >Options > Element Attributes > Materials. Make sure your color selections fill a greater portion the dark to light range. That range is revealed in the Edit Color sub-window in a grayscale slider found on the left hand edge of the window.

Elevations typically don't "sing" because the material's default colors are chosen in a narrow gray scale range to make the 3D rendering look credible (uniform). Broadening the range is the key. Just for fun: Review the colors of that “blah” elevation, I’ll bet the colors' grayscale range are centered in the middle third.

BEST: you can totally crank the settings with "elevation only" materials just for this purpose, but you'll want to set the elevation selection settings to "Manual-rebuild Model" to keep your "elevation only" color stable. If you don't use internal engine for anything else, you don't even need to keep two color sets. The OpenGL and Lightworks have their own separate color settings and will render with the default material settings.

Hope this helps.

Snap