Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AutoCad , Back to MAC (beta screenshots) !

TMA_80
Enthusiast
it's almost here:

http://www.macstories.net/news/first-screenshots-of-autocad-for-mac/

I can assume we should hear the same thing for Revit ...GS be careful ! .
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
54 REPLIES 54
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would watch the API. As soon as it moves away from the Microsoft .NET that would be an indication of Mac possibility.
Chazz
Enthusiast
AutoDesk put out a survey about a Mac port last year and when I filled it out I tried to emphasize to them to forget about ACad and focus on Revit for Mac. Perhaps others did too.

If they do this I think it will almost unequivocally spell the end for ArchiCAD. I know it will for me personally. This is thrilling news.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Erika Epstein
Booster
Chazz wrote:
If they do this I think it will almost unequivocally spell the end for ArchiCAD. I know it will for me personally. This is thrilling news.
So you would switch to an inferior product that costs more?

Is that what the "Central cost" in your profile refers to?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Chazz
Enthusiast
Erika wrote:
When I switched to AC in 1992, it was in many ways an inferior product and it was very expensive. What it had was a superior philosophy and momentum. These are the only two things that really matter: Philosophy and momentum. I'm sure there are things that AC does better than Revit, but given the relative development momentum of the two companies, this will probably be short-lived.

As to the question of cost, I think this is sort of irrelevant (so long as you have the scratch to get into the game). Your investment in time learning the tool makes the investment in cash almost beside the point. I think the bigger downside to switching to Revit is the draconian licensing policy that AutoDesk has been able to force on its users. However, as many here have pointed out, GS is slowly heading down the same path.

Perhaps most importantly, your investments of time and money in Revit can be much more effectively leveraged in the open market. Try this: do a Craigslist Job search in any region in the world for ArchiCAD and another for Revit. You will find that almost everywhere, there are vastly more opportunities for folks with Revit skills compared with ArchiCAD (Archiwhat?). If this does not speak to the seismic shift that has occurred in the last few years, nothing does.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
As usual, I'm on the same page as Chazz.

(And, I think his "Central Cost" location is/was a pretty funny pun/barb at living in the Central Coast of California, which is a rather expensive place to be. If not, then at least I enjoy my interpretation. 🙂 )

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Brett Brown
Advocate
Erika wrote:

Wrong on both counts Erika, especially coming from Archicad. If you compare both in the basics of an supposed BIM program, Revit wins hands down. As it has been said before both have there strengths and weaknesses, doesn't everybody, but overall Revit is easier to use,more logical in thinking etc,etc.

As for the cost, Autodesk has a Cross Grade incentive, (which GS use to have as well but as usual stopped) which gives you the Revit Suite (Revit Architecture,Autocad,Autocad Architecture) for 50% of the normal fee.

Also the Subscription Fee is cheaper than Archicads and you get 3 programs. At least when paying a Subscription for Revit you know from past versions that the following version will be well worth it, (because they listen to users) especially compared to GS's record in the last 3 years.

Perhaps you can tell us why Tom Waltz changed his firm to an "Inferior" product?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brett wrote:
Perhaps you can tell us why Tom Waltz changed his firm to an "Inferior" product?
If I remember correctly, the firm he worked at at the time was bought out and the new owners mandated it.
Brett Brown
Advocate
Michael wrote:
If I remember correctly, the firm he worked at at the time was bought out and the new owners mandated it.
Might be so but his posts on Archicad verses Revit on Augi support the switch wholeheartly.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Erika Epstein
Booster
Tom now works for Bentley
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bret wrote:
"which gives you the Revit Suite (Revit Architecture,Autocad,Autocad Architecture) for 50% of the normal fee. "
Yep, but then I believe you MUST pay a yearly fee or your program STOPS.
This could be quite the bummer with a low cash flow moment and deadline looming.
Does anyone know differently?
It's been twenty yrs since I used Autocad (Autocad9/dos).
lec