BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG line type scale in placed External Drawing

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Could someone please refresh my memory -- what is the secret to maintaining the correct line type scale after placing a DWG as a Drawing within AC?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Ottenstein
I seem to recall some discussion by various testers during beta that the linetype scale interpretation (LTSCALE) improvement in 12 may only work with a file Open or file Merge....? So, you might try one of those and if that is the case, you may need to Open/Merge onto a worksheet and place THAT on the layout, rather than placing the dwg directly? Also, to get the LTSCALE correct on export, I believe someone said that your conversion setup needs to refer to a dwg template having the desired LTSCALE value.

From the 12 'New Features Guide':
The LTScale variable used in DWG files will now be correctly interpreted when opening or merging DWG files in ArchiCAD. New line types will be created as needed, regardless of the length of the original line pattern.
Cheers,
Karl

PS I just noticed your signature lists 11, not 12, so I'm not sure what the trick is there off the top of my head.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I'd like to place the DWG as a Drawing (as opposed to Xrefing or Merging) to avoid contaminating the AC file with a bunch of useless attributes. Your suggestion does give me an idea, tho -- Merge the file into a separate instance of AC, and place that file as a Drawing...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Eduardo Rolon
Laura wrote:
I'd like to place the DWG as a Drawing (as opposed to Xrefing or Merging) to avoid contaminating the AC file with a bunch of useless attributes. Your suggestion does give me an idea, tho -- Merge the file into a separate instance of AC, and place that file as a Drawing...
This is the trick that I have used since AC8 when I have to explode or merge a dwg.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thomas Holm
Booster
Karl wrote:
I seem to recall some discussion by various testers during beta that the linetype scale interpretation (LTSCALE) improvement in 12 may only work with a file Open or file Merge....
AFAIK, LTscale translation should work with Drag-and-drop (Place External Drawing is the same) as well as Open or Merge in AC12. Only Xref does not handle linetype scales well.

Please read more here.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Sculptdesign
Booster
Hi all, I currently have a line type scale issue with a placed DWG underlay which we can't explode (for project reasons). The grid lines are dot-dash but are at a very small scale so appear solid on the layout.
  • I've tried making the scale larger through element attributes but it doesn't work.
    I have placed the file at 1:200 as there's a lot of text which works best at this scale.
    I don't have the XREF option in the External Content menu, has this been removed in AC24?
I just want to make this one linetype a larger scale without changing anything else. Is this even possible?

Thanks!
ArchiCAD 26 Solo - Mac
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Did you migrate your Work Environment from an earlier AC version? That could be the reason why the XREF commands are not on your menu, because in my Archicad 24 installation, they are there. In any case, you can add them to the menu in the Work Environment Dialog.

About the line type scale issue: could you post a screenshot so I can more easily understand the exact situation?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Sculptdesign
Booster
Thanks for the reply, I was originally using a migrated work environment but I recently had a new hard drive and it's still the same. I'm using Solo, will that matter?

The line type scale issue is in the image below, only when zoomed into 67100% does it show. I need the scale of the linetype larger but I can't seem to be able. This is a placed DWG which I can't (won't) explode.

Thanks!
ArchiCAD 26 Solo - Mac
Barry Kelly
Sculptdesign wrote:
I just want to make this one linetype a larger scale without changing anything else. Is this even possible?

Does the DWG prompt you for an SHX file when you merge it?
If so getting the correct SHX file could be the answer to your problem.

If not then you can set up a DWG translator that will swap the 'bad' line for a 'good' one that you have set up in the file that you are merging into.

Or you can go to the line settings dialogue (after you have merged the DWG), find the line and alter the spacing (size) of the dashes and gaps.
You will need to multiply each of them by a scaling factor - I can't tell you what that might be as I don't have your files, but it shouldn't be too hard to work out.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Sculptdesign
Booster
Thanks Barry,

I don't have the SHX file, will ask in future but they're never sent with a DWG.

When you say merged, do you mean by exploding the file into the drawing? As mentioned this isn't an option it has to remain as a placed drawing file. Changing the line scale through the line settings doesn't do anything.

Ash.
ArchiCAD 26 Solo - Mac
Learn and get certified!