BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Missing objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I have several files that for some reason load up without any missing objects. yet when I look at the model there are several black dots representing missign objects. The file in question is an 11 file converted to 12. Everything was working fine in 11 but problems in 12.

Keep in mind that if it was only one or two objects I would simply replace them and move on. Unfortunately, we are talking about a lot of objects such as chairs, furniture, etc. Again the library manager reports no missing objects.

Anyone have any clues as to what is happening?

Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you loaded the 11 to 12 migration library?
Bier
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes,

It's really frustrating. I can't pinpoint why the hell the objects don't show.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well hopefully someone will come along soon who has more knowledge than I, (that should be easy).
As you may know 12 only uses the GUID not the names anymore, and could that be the root of evil?
I migrated a 10 to 11, then to 12, that was a mess.
Loaded the 11 migration library to that file.
Now that I think back on that, (I know someone will cruxify me for this), but since I still had missing objects in that migrated file I went ahead and loaded all of the 11 library and if I remember right, deleted the migration library.
Yep, got a ton of "duplicates" but at least my objects came back.
The morral , (for me anyway) was never never migrate a file again.
At least until I know more than GS about this program, (probably never).
Bier
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's frustrating to say the least. I'm not sure why Graphisoft makes these type of changes but this upgrade has been a nightmare till now. I'm responsible for upgrading over 90 users and having to deal with missing objects is a killer.

Right now I cant seem to load a project that has no duplicate objects or missing objects. While Archicad may be faster than before I can't enjoy the speed till all this crap is resolved.

Thanks for all your help
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
We started having this problem today in an AC11 file, that once-upon-a-time (over a year ago!) was converted from AC10. It's Teamwork, the Library Report shows no duplicate/missing Objects, but the big fat dots are all over the screen (seem to be 2 Labels and a sink Object). We tried deleting the TW preference files w/o success, and saving the file as a PLN with no luck, the parts are still missing. Any suggestions?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
screen shot:
WTF.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura,

From what I've been told this issue has to do with the sub-type changes in the AC12 GDL code relating to the internal "GUID". Apparently, any older Library Part that was renamed or created with "Save As" is treated as a completely different Object from the original. This will cause issues with legacy projects.

I'm hoping they fix this soon but I'm not holding my breath
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Thanks, Jorge, but I'm having this problem with an AC11 file!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
We started having this problem today in an AC11 file, that once-upon-a-time (over a year ago!) was converted from AC10. It's Teamwork, the Library Report shows no duplicate/missing Objects, but the big fat dots are all over the screen (seem to be 2 Labels and a sink Object). We tried deleting the TW preference files w/o success, and saving the file as a PLN with no luck, the parts are still missing. Any suggestions?
First possibility: The parts were opened and saved in 12. I have seen some cases where the newer parts are not reported as missing despite being unreadable by the older version. The fix in this case is to recover the previous version parts from a back up or rebuild them by copy/pasting scripts from 12 to 11.

Second possibility: They are not reading for some other reason. Try opening and saving the parts in the current session. This should get them working.
Learn and get certified!