Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Help making basic editable Library Item

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im trying to make the below item a little better to use.

Basically its just a 2d image with text as a library item.. where the red # is I have left blank and I just drop text over the top of it in my plans
I was wondering if someone could show me or point me to a place I could see how I could add editable text to where the red # is so that I could edit it in objects setting box. And do away with the whole droping text boxes on top of it

Thanks

arrow.JPG
16 REPLIES 16
vistasp
Advisor
A simple object like this is a great way to get your feet wet with GDL. For starters, you might like the "Introduction to Object Making" by David Nicholson Cole. That - and his "GDL Cookbook 4" can be downloaded from ArchiCad East.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
rocorona
Booster
What are the variables in the "##" text?
- You want it to be RED, as shown, or same color (and size and font) of the other text?
- Has it a fixed length (i.e. 2 digit) or can be any text?
What are your knowledge of GDL? did you script the basis object, or you just saved some plan element "as GDL"?

Strings in GDL can be combined simply with the "+" operator. If you create in your library part a text parameter called "texty", for example:
ystring = 'Y-' + texty + 'kN'
TEXT2 0,0, ystring

If the parameter has a value of "00" you will get Y-00kN

Hope this can be a good starting point for you.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
GeNOS:

You can also look at some of he simpler 2D symbol objects in the ArchiCAD Library (for instance, in the US Library "Revision Indicator_NCS 12") to see an example of how this can be done.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
vistasp wrote:
A simple object like this is a great way to get your feet wet with GDL. For starters, you might like the "Introduction to Object Making" by David Nicholson Cole. That - and his "GDL Cookbook 4" can be downloaded from ArchiCad East.
cheers for the link.. ill have a read through it

rocorona wrote:
- You want it to be RED, as shown, or same color (and size and font) of the other text?
What are your knowledge of GDL? did you script the basis object, or you just saved some plan element "as GDL"?

Strings in GDL can be combined simply with the "+" operator. If you create in your library part a text parameter called "texty", for example:
TEXT2 0,0, ystring

the red part just needs to be a 2 or 3 digit number. its just a saved as GDL item from AC.

David wrote:
GeNOS:

You can also look at some of he simpler 2D symbol objects in the ArchiCAD Library (for instance, in the US Library "Revision Indicator_NCS 12") to see an example of how this can be done.

David
i tryed looking at a few, but all the ones i found were editable 3d objects and couldnt really tell what was what.. ill have another look for a editable 2d item.
Anonymous
Not applicable
rocorona wrote:

TEXT2 0,0, ystring

because i just saved it form AC as a GDL object it wouldnt know that the black text was actually text tho.. correcT?
Anonymous
Not applicable
GeNOS wrote:
because i just saved it form AC as a GDL object it wouldnt know that the black text was actually text tho.. correcT?
No, AC would not treat it as normal text, as produced using the text tool.

What do you need to do with the text? If you just needed to change the ## text simply add a new 'texty' parameter in the parameter list of the object. This will then be available to edit when you open the object dialog box.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yeha i tried that before i made this thread.
i just need teh ## to read a 2 or 3 digit number..
but adding a text feild to the parameters it just alows me to put a value in the objects setting box.. but i dunno how to getit to show up when i actually place the object.. iv got it placing some text but its about 30 meters away from where i place the object
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are probably a number of reasons why that could be happening. Did you move the 2d lines in ArchiCAD to the 0,0 point before saving as GDL? Have you put some add2 and rot2 commands to move the text to the right position? Have you previewed the part in the 2d symbol box?

If all else fails, post the object up and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction!
Anonymous
Not applicable
ah ok.. probably wasnt on 0,0 when i saved it.. ill fix that up and a few other things and post it up.. ill have a bit more of a read of that cook book thingo aswell 1st..