Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC11, disappearing View Map

Craig Bagley
Contributor
Occasionally, when I go to close a file ("File>Close"), only the Navigator Palette closes. The file won't close until I reopen the Navigator Palette. When I reopen the Navigator Palette, none of my saved views show in the View Map, and Layouts are renumbered (subsets disappear).

Eventually I can get the file to close, and after reopening it, all Views are restored...

This is assuming I don't try to save the file with the corrupted View Map prior to closing. I tried this, and now the file reopens with the corrupted View Map (no surprise, I guess). I have a backup to work with, so I'm using the corrupted file to experiment:

1. When you go to a layout, select a drawing, and attempt to "Open view source", nothing happens. The path to the view, however, still looks correct, even though there are no views in the View Map.

2. In the Drawing Manager, status of drawings linked back to views are noted as "Unavailable"

I'm unclear as to why failure to close the file normally is an "occasional" problem, so I can't inform as to what I may be doing just prior to closing that may trigger the problem. I don't think the problem occurs if I manually save the file just prior to closing (the normal and prudent thing to do). Occasionally I may forget to do this, and that may have something to do with the problem. The normal prompt to save isn't always triggered if I saved recently, and then perhaps inadvertently perform some action before closing.

Can't find any past postings related to this; hence my post.
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
15 REPLIES 15
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Are you sure you have a legitimate copy of AC? This behavior is very IRREGULAR. I would suggest un-installing and re-installing AC.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Chazz
Enthusiast
Sheesh Laura, right off the bat you're questioning the legitimacy of his license..... Next thing we know you'll call his manhood into doubt. We Santa Cruzans need to stick together.

Craig, Unfortunately I've never heard of anything like this, though odd behavior with the drawing manager is becoming increasingly frequent for moi. Are all the drawings linked to views in the layout's own PLN or are they from other external files? If the latter, have you messed with the any of the directoryies in the path?

And when you see a blank project map, are you SURE you are looking at the map for the local, current running PLN and not using project chooser?

Grasping at straws....
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Chazz wrote:
Sheesh Laura, right off the bat you're questioning the legitimacy of his license.....
It's the answer I resort to when stumped by bizarre behavior...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Wow....I'm impressed with the quick replies from both of you. Much appreciated.

Chazz: Do I know you by your real name? This is a small town.

Now, to respond to the questions:

The burning hole in my wallet tells me the license is legitimate.

The drawings are linked to views IN the .pln file. Also the Project Map remains intact; it's the View Map and Layout Map that get corrupted.

Nice to know my problem is so unique. Makes me feel so special.
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Erika Epstein
Booster
then do the clean install that Laura suggested. Uninstall and then reinstall.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Chazz
Enthusiast
I'm with Erika on the reinstall, even though I doubt it will do anything.... It's just what you do when all else fails (but full disclosure, I've not done it myself in probably a decade).

It's either that or we need to start bringing Craig's manhood into question....
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Does the whole Navigator reappear intact when you reset the Work Environment to the Standard Profile?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Does the whole Navigator reappear intact when you reset the Work Environment to the Standard Profile?
No, but resetting the Work Environment to the Standard Profile is what I do to get the Navigator to reappear. The View Map and Layout Map are still corrupted, but at least I can close the file. Assuming I don't save the file at this point (which seems to lock in the corrupted Navigator), I can then reopen the file normally, and the Navigator Maps are intact again.
AC20 USA/Build 8005
15" MBP, 16 GB RAM
macOS 10.13.6
Erika Epstein
Booster
Chazz wrote:
It's either that or we need to start bringing Craig's manhood into question....
Chazz, this means you'll be picking up the tab when you buy Craig lunch
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"