Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

2D symbol

Anonymous
Not applicable
How to edit the 2D symbol of a window or door from the ArchiCAD 12 ibrary??
can you do that even if the 2D script is empty??

The 2D symbol window show some lines but it does not look like the window actually looks in the floor plan....

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
carmen:

If the 2D Script is empty, then ArchiCAD will use the drawing elements (lines, fills, hotspots) in the 2D Symbol window for the 2D symbol of the part. If the 2D Script is used, then the contents of the 2D Symbol window will be ignored, unless called by a FRAGMENT2 statement. 2D drawings tend to be much less sophisticated than what can be accomplished via scripting.

I opened one of the ArchiCAD 12 library windows (W Awning 1 12) and indeed, the 2D Script is empty (as are all the other Script windows except the Master Script), in the Master Script window, a Call is made to a macro (gs_general_w_macro_USA) where the various scripts reside. So editing one of these windows really means editing this macro, which would change any window using this macro.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, David.
I guess I ca not change the 2d symbol of the (W Awning 1 12) only, without affecting the other windows that are using the same macro.

I just create my own window on 3d and edit the 2d symbol ,but now I have another problem: is not parametric! , if i change the size of the window , the jamb will stretch with it.
Thank you for your help.
(working on my profile photo)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
carmen:

The 2D Drawing window is fine for creating custom one-of-a-kind parts, as discussed here: 2D symbol of Archibase.net objects, but not so good for parametric parts, as you have discovered. For parametric objects, usually a 2D Script is needed to go with the 3D Script so the 2D Symbol can accurately change along with the 3D model. Simple resizing of the part in both 2D and 3D generally won't give good results as some subassemblies are expected to remain the same size (jambs) as other subassemblies change size (glass).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Carmen, could you let me know how you created the new window, and what functionality you want to give it? Making a fully parametric / stretchable window is quite a challenge. I would be inclined to start by putting together a specification as to what is required, what resources are needed, etc. Then mock up a prototype and start building in functionality.