Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Sun study too fast!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

AC12
MAC OSX 10.5

I am rendering some sun studies in the photorendering window to produce a quicktime movie.
The problem is that a sunrise to sunset render at 24 fps is less than 1 second long!
I assume that a lower fps would help but it would result in a choppier movie.
Is there any way to make a smooth, 6-10 second movie out of this sun study?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
What do you have your Interval set at? It defaults to 30 minutes, but you can reduce it to 1 minute intervals... At 15 fps, that would be 4 seconds per hour...

The choppiness or smoothness is the interval between shots; the fps gives you the final speed playing those shots.

If the target is electronic, the fps does not matter. Just distribute a QT movie at the fps that works for you in terms of time (after adjusting the interval).

If the target is a standard DVD, then the 24 fps PAL or 29.9 NTSC fps will matter, and knowledge of your video editor will help determine the best way to generate a smooth slower/faster version. Simply dragging a 15 fps clip onto a 24 fps timeline will provide a few bumps in the road.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was having the same issues, so thank you Karl for resolving that. I do have another question though about the shadows in the sun study.

I have the settings posted in the jpg and was wondering how I can get the shadows to really contrast within the image. Very dark in the shade.

#2 is the fact of the rendered source view. Within the parameters of the sun study it gives you two options,

3d window and photo rendering window. Are these two technically the same?
I know that the adjustments are made in the photo rendering settings but I cannot seem to figure out the difference. Which one is better to make this as quick as possible?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

PS. I love to see your posts Karl, as I graduated last year from MSU in the Architecture dept. (Wow how I miss bozeman!) You need to get in there and teach all the kids Archicad! lol.

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Image 1
Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
If you get the sun study from the 3D OpenGL windo, there's no shadows. If you get the sun study from the 3D Internal engine, it looks like drafting with tones. For darker shadows here, go into the sun dialog and reduce ambient light. Give it also, a dark color.

If you want more contrast in your LightWorks rendered shadows, eliminate skylight and ambient light.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight -

Thank you very much, it worked well!
Karl Ottenstein
Glad Dwight got you the answer you needed.
Josh wrote:
PS. I love to see your posts Karl, as I graduated last year from MSU in the Architecture dept. (Wow how I miss bozeman!) You need to get in there and teach all the kids Archicad! lol.
Thanks. Look me up if you make it back some time! Would be great to get the MSU students on ArchiCAD, or anything BIM, rather than Rhino, actually.

Lots of snow this past week and -5 F (-21 C) this a.m. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB