Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3d Trim for trim under a soffit and running up the rake

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm currently researching what the easiest way is to create 3d trim that would run underneath the soffit of a roof and turn the corner and run up along the rake. I am looking for any and all suggestions. Could be some sort of add-on trim package that I would pay for if needed. Any recommendations on the D3 Trim & Mouldings package would be good or any other one for that matter. This is something that I have always wanted to be able to do, to take my 3d modeling to the next level but have always struggled with how to accomplish it,
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I have always just used the roof tool for trim running up a gable end.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Karl Ottenstein
If you need profiled trim, then a custom profiled beam can be made to work... Of course, at the rake end, you'll either need a different trim height, or bit of solid element trimming of the rake 'tail' to get the angled trim to join the straight trim.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was thinking more for profiled trim so the roof tool would not work in that regard.

I like the idea of using the complex profile tool and beams in order to accomplish it. I don't have a lot of experience with the custom profile tool, would that be an efficient way to do it? What would you do if the wall was curved?

Anyone ever use the D3 trim package? Pros & Cons for it?
Erika Epstein
Booster
Michael wrote:
Anyone ever use the D3 trim package? Pros & Cons for it?
You also asked in a different post about their door and windows. I've used Smart Parts for 12+ (?) years. All of them are parametric and bridged a gap that archicad's libraries did not meet. Over the years graphisoft has narrowed that gap by improving their parts, specifically the doors and windows and the addition of the Custom Profile Manager.
I've used Smart Parts less and less as Archicad has improved.

At this time, Ralph Wessel's objective will do all that you want and more. Take a look at some of the recent posts in the last month that showcase its ease and wide application. There is also a free trial period.
At $300 US it is well worth the price.
Objective
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"