Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimension linetypes

Jere
Expert
I'd like the ability to control the dimension and witness lines linetypes. It's not often I need to change the linetype from solid lines, but I have come across it before.

Coupled with the ability to have different arrowheads on either side and the ability to turn on or off witness lines on either side, the dimension tool can be more flexible.

An example: on a design with an addition, we often put a line with an arrow pointing to new work (addition, etc,) and one pointing to existing work. By doing this with the dimension tool, it would "stretch" if the addition changes size.

Not essential, but it might be nice and doesn't seem too difficult to me.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
9 REPLIES 9
Erika Epstein
Booster
Too many wishes in one post.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Jere
Expert
I figured they were all minor in nature and all related to the dimension tool. Three separate topics would have been annoying, no?
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
One of you wishes is fulfilled - you can turn on and off witness lines separately.
Personally I can't imagine why I'll ever need dashed dimensions. And I think that having too many options which you'll rarely use just complicates workflow, so I voted "not needed".
Erika Epstein
Booster
I am not a programmer, but we keep the wishes separate instead of grouping them as you did as the developers may view their implementation of each differently.

1.As Kliment said, the first one is already doable.

2.The second item may be your office standard; I've always done this as a separate set of lines etc., not part of a dimension string, so for me this is not a dimension wish. However, you are wanting to set one side of the dimension line different from another. If you are serious about this, a screenshot of what you want is helpful. This not only shows us and Graphisoft exactly what you are after, but might generate additional ACtalkers screenshots of their desired alternates. Again to show the developers exactly what is wanted.

3. The third one, the ability to set the line-type of each line of the dimension string individually. An example is the ability to have one or more witness lines in a dimension string use a center-line linetype v. the rest a solid line. This is a long outstanding wish.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Barry Kelly
Jere,
Is this what you mean by your 2nd wish?
This was done using the Cummulative dimension.
Unfortunately you are stuck with the empty filled circle at one end but the other end can be changed to what ever marker you want to use.
Two dimensions drawn separately here - one from left to centre and the other from right to centre.
They are completely associtaive and will change with the design (except if you use the custom text as I have done here - don't ever use that - just add your own text if needed).
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Erika wrote:
The third one, the ability to set the line-type of each line of the dimension string individually. An example is the ability to have one or more witness lines in a dimension string use a center-line linetype v. the rest a solid line. This is a long outstanding wish.
I requested this many years ago, but I can't find my wish or any one else's related to this. Can you point me to the wish, Erika? It irritates me every time I use the dim. tool---eliminate a witness line--choose my centerline favorite--draw the line--back to the dim. tool. I can't imagine how this has not been addressed in all these years.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi Dave,
I found this one here from 2003!

I think it's time to revive this wish, or perhaps you would like to start a new one? Then I will be able to vote twice for the same idea
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Dave Jochum
Advocate
Good job, Erika! Guess I gave up looking to quickly. I knew it was a long time ago. I'll revive this with a new wish. Thanks.
Dave Jochum
Dave Jochum
Advocate
New poll item specifically for witness linetype control HERE
Dave Jochum