Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profiler: Help w/ making a part

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to get into complex profiles and I need some help. Attached is a simple foundation wall & footing for use in residential projects. I want it modeled just as it has been drawn, with a light line separating the footing from the wall, and the rebar showing as well as the anchor bolt. I left the sill plate off because it may change from project to project...

In profile manager, you use just fills and lines are merely for construction, correct? When I make the part as shown, I lose everything except the fills....

The two separate fills for the foundation wall and the footing combine, and I don't want that. I want the line between the two. How?

Also, how do you add the rebar and the anchor bolt?
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, I have turned on the stretch parameters in case I want the wall to get taller. When I go to stretch, it stretches the whole part, including the height of the footing itself, which I do not want stretched. How do I go about this?
Jere
Expert
Only fills are used in a complex profile. Lines are only used as a drafting aid. If you want your anchor bolts and rebar to be modelled, they have to be drawn. Personally, I'd add the rebar on a detail drawing.

To get the footing and wall to be separate, they need to be different fills. If you want them to be the same fill, just make a copy of the new fill under a different name.

Example:
wall: concrete fill1
footing: concrete fill2

Do you have the lower stretch line at the top or bottom of the footing?
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jere wrote:
Only fills are used in a complex profile. Lines are only used as a drafting aid. If you want your anchor bolts and rebar to be modelled, they have to be drawn. Personally, I'd add the rebar on a detail drawing.

To get the footing and wall to be separate, they need to be different fills. If you want them to be the same fill, just make a copy of the new fill under a different name.

Example:
wall: concrete fill1
footing: concrete fill2

Do you have the lower stretch line at the top or bottom of the footing?
I have the lower stretch line @ the bottom of the footing. If I move it to the top, will this fix that?

I get your idea on keeping the same fills, just changing the name.

You say "If you want your anchor bolts and rebar to be modelled, they have to be drawn." Do you draw these as fills with edges that have a dashed line?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I got the stretch line fixed, the fill fixed, and managed to get some footing rebar placed in there. It takes a little time up front but by saving it as a favorite in the template file, this will save us a lot of time in the long run!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here it is...
Erich
Contributor
Steven,

For some slightly self conflicting advice...

I would suggest you reconsider showing the rebar in your complex profile as it will add greatly to your polygon count (round forms in every foundation wall) and is really only necessary in your details where it can easily be drawn with 2D tools.

(Now for the conflicting part ) I generally add the mud sill to my complex foundation walls. It just makes things quicker in sections.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve
Along with mud sill you could also make your J bolts also show up in C.P. made with different fill than mud sill or fnd fill.
Just don't use rounded edges for lower poly count as Erich implies.
Anonymous
Not applicable
lec1212 wrote:
Steve
Along with mud sill you could also make your J bolts also show up in C.P. made with different fill than mud sill or fnd fill.
Just don't use rounded edges for lower poly count as Erich implies.
I have talked it over in the office and we are not going to show any rebar in the foundation, we will just add it as we detail as you have suggested. It is a large pain in the you know what to set that up with all the rebar...

Thanks for the advice about the sill plate and anchor bolts, I was thinking of showing them. Just a couple questions...

1) How do you draw a sill plate if you cannot use lines? I like to show the "X" going through the plate to denote it is a continuous piece of wood. How is this achieved?

2) What is the "poly count" problem? Does this slow down the model?

3) These complex profiles are used for building sections, but what happens when you get to more detailed wall sections? Do you use the detail tool and blow apart the profile into lines and fills, or do you just save a view with a larger scale and use different layers?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, notice the outlines here in this section. Some lines are thicker than others (the sill plate). Does this matter, and how do you change it if they do?