Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trial version file conversion - UpgradeJourney part 2

Michael Looney
Participant
Now that the I have ArchiCAD 13 running just fine, thank you, is there anyway that the file developed in trial version can be salvaged? In my desperate attempts to get 13 running, I did re-install ArchiCAD 13 yesterday which, as all trial versions users are indeed warned, the trial version file no longer works. Given the events of the past week I was desperate enough to maybe sacrifice that file just to get to something going; now I realize that, if the file were editable it it would be one less thing I will be recreating after my computer was stolen. It had been developed out of an Archicad 11 file, with updates to the floor plan and set up for Ecodesigner (which I will be buying at some point when the project moves forward) That would save me going back to November's last AC!! file and starting again.

The file is on the same computer that the trial version was installed (my work computer was the one stolen) and I did purchase an upgrade to 13. Given that, does ArchiCAD have the ability to unlock the file if they think that is legitimate and I'm not abusing the trial license?

I know this sounds like I cannot follow simple directions or am just an idiot, but I am more like a desperate maniac or typical male that has to fix things without following directions. Guess this could have been avoided if the key were set to AC13 went sent. Who knew?:oops:
Windows 10 Pro, ArchiCAD 6.5-22
Lumion 9.0
Dell Precision 7730 [64GB RAM | NVIDIA QUADRO P5200 16GB RAM | XEON E-2186M 6 CORE 2.9Ghz
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
The file should be just fine. The restrictions apply to the program installation not the files created in trial mode. In fact you should be able to open and view it in demo mode. You just can't save any changes (you can still print though). A full, licensed install should work with the file no problem.
Michael Looney
Participant
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately My full version will not open the trial version file, even though it is on the same computer that i used to create it. The problem appears to be that since I removed Trial 13 and reinstalled AC13 from disk, it does not know that this is the computer that was used to create it. AC 13 will not even open it to see it, let alone modify, edit, save as...
Lumion 9.0
Dell Precision 7730 [64GB RAM | NVIDIA QUADRO P5200 16GB RAM | XEON E-2186M 6 CORE 2.9Ghz
Anonymous
Not applicable
There must be something else going on then. AFAIK files made in trial mode are fully functional and should open on any machine with a commercial license (or in demo mode without the key).
Karl Ottenstein
It is possible (?) that the trial version was updated to the current hotfix, but that since you just installed 13 off of the DVD yesterday, that you did not go to Help > Check for Updates and install the hotfix?

The problem could be that your 'older' version of 13 may not be able to open a file saved with the 'newer' (hotfixed) trial.

See if downloading the update resolves the issue?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Matthew wrote:
There must be something else going on then. AFAIK files made in trial mode are fully functional and should open on any machine with a commercial license (or in demo mode without the key).
I think it's far more complicated than that. If you produce any work with the trial version, you must upgrade that installation in order to open your files. If you reinstall or attempt to open your files with any other installation, they cannot be read. If you wipe the trial installation, any projects created with it will be permanently lost.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Michael Looney
Participant
Would ArchCAD/Graphisoft be able to do it if they wanted to??
Lumion 9.0
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I think it's far more complicated than that. If you produce any work with the trial version, you must upgrade that installation in order to open your files. If you reinstall or attempt to open your files with any other installation, they cannot be read. If you wipe the trial installation, any projects created with it will be permanently lost.
I'm sorry to hear this. It really seems excessively restrictive. Even Autodesk is not so tight.
Michael Looney
Participant
All hotfixes are installed - not permitting me to open the file even to take a peek.
Lumion 9.0
Erika Epstein
Booster
Time to get in touch with your reseller and/or graphisoft US tech support for help.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"