Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Large projet workflow : advice wanted

Anonymous
Not applicable
After searching various sites and forums for advices on how to optimize our workflow on larger projects I must admit that I was not satisfied.

Here is our situation:

We have recently been starting larger projects ( 10+ stories and multiple wings ) and have been experiencing various slowdowns in performance. Being on windows XP 32 I started regularly seeing the AC message "not enough memory ... switch to 64 bits" and even crash to desktop.

Now there are two facets to the problem:

First - I dont think my current PC is outdated, a very good graphic card, 4 gigs of ram is the max my OS can handle. Would switching to 64 bits really get rid of the memory and slowdown problems?

Second - Could someone point me in the direction af reference material on how to handle larger projets in AC. I was thinking of using Hotlinks of different wings placed in a master file but it seems impractical to me.

Thanks in advance for any responses
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
There is no reference manual for this. Hotlinking the different parts of a larger project as you suggest is the correct approach.

There is a video herepresented by a firm that shows how they divided up the building into separate plns following work flow.

You break up the building into different physical areas as you suggest, or it could be by parts of the building that naturally different groups would be designing. In the video they took a mixed-use high-rise and broke it up by skin, core, typical upper floors, entry/first few floors which I recall were commercial. Each team had 2-4 people, a realistic 'group' size.

As for your computer, yes, you probably want to have at least one that has more memory for the main file into which all the subgroup files will be hotlinked.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Erika wrote:
There is no reference manual for this.
Well, there is THIS and THIS.