Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

BIM server for single users??

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have a question about using the BIM server technology as a single seat user.
Is there anyone here who uses the BIM server system as a single user, is this possible and what are the benefits?

I'm wondering if it might be useful for me or not. I have the PC on which I do most of my work as well as a laptop for travelling around, meetings etc.
Some of the issues I currently have are keeping consistency across both computers as well as a external hard drive that I use for backup storage. Occasionally I find that I put a project onto usb key to take with the laptop only to find that my laptop installation of Archicad is missing a library or work enviroment setup that I have setup on the main PC.
Would setting up and running my database off of a BIM server system result in more coherence and consistency between my computers, my external hard drive etc? Does it help with online collaboration with third party collaborators, engineers, clients etc? Is there anyone in a similar position who uses the BIM server and can tell me what their experience has been?

Many thanks,
Lisa
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Lisa,
You have very nicely summarized the advantages for using TW2 as a solo practitioner. It also creates an automatic backup.

-I work with many firms and TW2 has made this possible with firms around the globe, not just around town.

-In the news release for 14 they note a new Travel Pack which can include all loaded libraries for a project. this will make it even easier to take projects with you.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika, Ill take that as a green light thats its a good idea to go ahead and set up the server, thank you!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In ArchiCAD 14, there is a new feature called "Reserve All".
That is especially useful for Solo practitioners, besides the advantages already mentioned.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
upintheclouds mentioned 'missing WE settings' among other things. The BIM Server cannot help there, nor can it help sync the external hard drive.

Since the office PC will have to be left running anyway to support BIM Server, I would run a VPN server and/or an FTP server on it so that you can access any other office files (such as WE, xrefed DWG, hotlinked MOD, drawing-placed PDG, dwg, images etc) that you might discover you are missing.

Using some kind of sync software to sync to your external drive is a good idea, too.

All of this stuff is free and relatively easy on Mac. I'm a little out of touch with the tools you might use on Windows.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB