Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 12 Stairs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to have only one single rail on one side only with AC 12's Stair-maker ?
(not 2 rails and not with posts etc.)

Thanks,
13 REPLIES 13
Erika Epstein
Booster
Despite the inaccurate graphics, to have a railing only on the inside, choose the right-most tab and then select the railing of your choice from the available selection.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
...and to fill in the missing step in Erika's screenshot... when the third button is selected, it means that each edge of the stair can be assigned a different railing.

You'll see a little railing icon when you hover over any of the black edges. Click to make that edge red (active). Then select the type of railing.

In your case, "No Railing" is what you want for all edges except for the one of interest. Easiest way to get 'no railing' everywhere initially is to first select the first button ('all rails'), select No Railing to apply to all edges, then select the third button to customize the edges of interest.

You'll only see the little rail icon when you select the middle or right button. With the first button (all rail) all edges/rails are selected and will be made identical. With the second, you can assign different properties to the inside and outside (or left / right) rails. With the third, you can customize properties for each segment. Been this way for years...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
And another not-so obvious option is to click on a corner which allows you to chamfer or fillet as shown.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Erika Epstein
Booster
and yes, you to can have a stair this lovely
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
but why do i read some posts which people don't like the stair maker so much?

why? what is its weak points?
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Erika wrote:
wow... Alice in wonderland!
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks all.... However, I still do not see the option for the only one rail handrail...Am I missing it someplace or is that not possible..even against a solid wall...?
__archiben
Booster
Erika wrote:
a feast for the eyes this friday morning . . . !
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Karl Ottenstein
atelier wrote:
thanks all.... However, I still do not see the option for the only one rail handrail...Am I missing it someplace or is that not possible..even against a solid wall...?
Do Erika's posts not make sense to you, or have you missed the railing option called "Simple Bar"?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB