Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Second layout book in the same file, doable?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is what im looking for. I would like to be able to make a second layout book in the same file to separate presentation and construction documentation and still be able to use automatic numbering of sheets.

In short I'd like two copies of the same layout book but with different preset views. Do I have to make a separate file for this with "xreffed" views? Or is there a better workflow im not aware of.

Thanks in advance

AC 12 latest build PC
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is possible within the same layout book (if i am understanding your question correctly).

i've set my template file to have separate sub-sets for the various stages (concept design. planning application, building lisence, construction etc.) and each one has specific, but generally similar subsets (plans, elevations, sections, details, worksheets etc). you can create one heirarchical sub-set and copy it as many times as required by dragging it (while pressing the cntrl key) and then renaming the 'head' subset to suit.

each subset can then be set up to have it's own layout numbering sequence/conventions (e.g. SK1,SK2,SK3...; DA1,DA2,DA3...; A1.01, A2.02... etc.). right-click on the 'head' subset and select subset settings. each subset usually also has a similar, but specific, MASTER LAYOUT where the format and type of information required on the titleblock is tailored for the specific project stage.

typically, i would use the same model to generate drawings in each sub-set (with the appropriate layer combination and view options selected in the saved view) but, as each stage is completed, i select all the drawings in a specific sub-set and break the hot-link (this can be done in one step for multiple layout sheets using the DRAWING MANAGER) so that i have an unchanging drawing of that milestone in the project (although i also print a pdf for submission but also for my records as some of the AUTOTEXT components of the titleblock keep updating - date printed, revisions etc.).

i haven't had any particular problems working this way and, although i would expect it would generally result in larger file sizes overall (due to repeated instances of drawings and embedding of unlinked drawings, i haven't noted any performance issues related to this (my average project file sizes being aroung 50 - 75Mb). maybe someone else can comment on this aspect.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Similarly, The templates I custom build all have separate subsets for different phases. They're not really different layout books as such, but the result is the same.

Don't forget to make separate publishing sets for each phase (by using shortcuts).

This is really an effective and efficient way to document small - medium projects. Although GS recommends splitting up larger projects, it would have to be pretty large to convince me to do it.

So far the biggest problems in doing this are if you want to use the numbering system such as Page X of Y, as there is no capability to list just the numbers of pages in a subset, so all pages in the layout book are included. Long workarounds are available as discussed here.

Also it is cumbersome to create one single sheet index with each phase listed separately, as the criteria for an index allows us to select just one Subset at a time. This has been been discussed many times, including here with a bit of a workaround.

Cheers,
Link.