Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC9 educational (student) version update

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greetings,

I have a problem with updating my student version of ArchiCAD 9. I have build #1954 and tried to install hotfix #2219. The installer cannot find the ArchiCAD file, even if I try to set the path manually. Is this my own problem, or is this because educational and commercial version are incompatible? How to update the educational version then?

I have AC12 as well, but I have some older projects in *.pne format of EDU AC9, which cannot be converted to *.pln. Sometimes I need to modify these old projects so I would like to have the latest version of AC9.

Thanks for advice and please excuse my English.

Windows XP
AC12 + Java RE 6 update 13
AC9 + Java RE 1.4.2_17
14 REPLIES 14
Erika Epstein
Booster
The educational version is separate from the Commercial one. To bring your 9 project into 12 you will first need to bring it into 10 educational.
Check graphisoft's website to see if you can download that version. Contact them or your local archicad reseller for assistance.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Greetings Erika,
thanks for writing, but that is not a solution of my problem. I would like to update my AC 9 EDU. I have ArchiCAD Educational from version 9 (AC9, 10, 11, 12) but from version 10 it is not compatible with *.pne (see bottom of the first page http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/pdf/Archicad_EDU_registration_process.pdf).
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think it is a known limitation.
You will not be able to open an AC9 EDU file with AC10 (or later) EDU.

Here is what ArchiCADWiki says about this:
File formats
EDU and commercial project files will have the same file format (.PLN), but EDU files have an irremovable logo at the top right corner. This logo will be present on all printouts. Because the new EDU file format is the same as the full, the Archicad 10 EDU version are NOT compatible with the previous educational versions and does NOT read (˛.PNE, .PAE ...) files created with earlier educational versions.
http://www.archicadwiki.com/Archicad%2010/Version%20summary#EDU_licenses
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
And because I know I only can open *.pne in AC9 EDU, I would like to keep my AC9 EDU up to date. And this I am not able to do (see my first message). The updater does not work correctly and I don't know how to fix it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Try to uninstall and reinstall the AC9 EDU version, and then run the updater program.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to reinstall ArchiCAD few times (even after new installation of OS) but still it did not work. The updater did not find ArchiCAD to update. Both on my notebook and my desktop (Win XP). I think the problem is in incompatibility of commercial and educational version - the installer simply does not work with EDU - but I am not sure. I did not find any technical information about this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
One more idea: I have build 1954 and when I searched for update, it offered me Hotfix 2219. Maybe there is some Hotfix between those two which is needed. But I could not find it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe you are trying to apply a FULL version hotfix to an EDU version.
What you could do is go to the Help menu in your EDU version and select "Check for updates". That will take you to the web page from which you can download the hotfix to the EDU version.
You should try to install that hotfix.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the way I obtained the Hotfix. I thought there is some known solution of my problem. But it seems more difficult than I expected. Maybe I will just work with my current version. Sometimes it crashes, but which program does not? 🙂
Thank you Laszlo Nagy very much for your reply.