Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Intel i7 920 feedback

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi folks,

I'm planning to upgrade my pc and would like some feedback of the new Intel i7 920 CPU within ArchiCAD...
It would be great if you indicate the previous and new CPU+RAM and the percentage of general speed improvement.

Thanks in advance.
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's the third fastest on this chart! -

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/Cinema-4D-Release-10,835.html
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the link...
Actually I knew it... It was my first stop in my research...
What I really wanted was to have some feedback of i7 920 CPU performance with ArchiCAD...
Specially with large files, multiple modules, large libraries., update layouts... lets say... Heavy load...
Wokka
Contributor
Paulo,
Did you get any other reviews re the i7 920 or did you just get it? I'm about to upgrade and it looks promising. I do a lot of large single file ArchiCad and also a lot 3D and rendering with C4D. Did you go 2.66 or 2.93?
Thanks
Any feedback would be great!
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
Paulo,

I'm with Wokka on this. Please post any comparisons between your old rig and the new i7 machine. My machine collapsed the other day and although it is back at work now, the end is in sight.

I'm considering either a Q9400 CPU (Passmark of 3,690) vs an i7 920 (Passmark of 5,542), but requires i7 mobo, DDR3, etc. An i7 based machine will be almost double the cost of the Q9400 based machine.

My past experience with these issues is that you never "get" the perfomance gain the benchmarks claim. It comes down to relying on what your peers say about their experiences. So I'd love to hear your news on this subject.

Thanks,
Mark
PS my currernt CPU is a Pentium 4, 2.8Ghz at Passmark = 416, yikes!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Wokka and Mark,

Sorry Wokka... I completely forgot your post.

Couldn't get much information about the i7 at that time here in the forum... So I sticked to Tom's Hardware benchmarks...

Anyway... I bought it 6-7 months ago and it took about a month to move all the baggage... So lets say... 6 months of full power use...

Ok... Once I don't have any skill in hardware/software review, I guess a "General Satisfaction Improvement Percentage" is the best I can do describing my "feelings" on this new machine compared to the old one.

It may sound a little (total) subjective but, as you said, in the end benchmarks never fulfill our expectations...

So... Here it is:

Old Machine: amd 2000+, 256mb RAM, 64mb Video, XP Pro 32 bits.

New Machine: Intel i7 920 2.79 GHz, 6Gb RAM, 512Mb Video, Vista Business 64 bits.

Project folder size including all AC12 files and refs: 100mb

General Satisfaction Improvement Percentage: 300%

About going to i7 or Q9400...

Mark.. I don't know about US prices... But here in Portugal, the i7 machine was about 150 Euros more expensive than the Q9400 one ... So I decided to stick with the i7 once it can upgrade better...

Bottom line... I'm working 300% more satisfied than I was with the old machine... But as I said... Its just my feeling... 😉

I hope this helps you guys.
Wokka
Contributor
Paulo,
Braza wrote:

Old Machine: amd 2000+, 256mb RAM, 64mb Video, XP Pro 32 bits.

New Machine: Intel i7 920 2.79 GHz, 6Gb RAM, 512Mb Video, Vista Business 64 bits.

Project folder size including all AC12 files and refs: 100mb

General Satisfaction Improvement Percentage: 300%

Bottom line... I'm working 300% more satisfied than I was with the old machine... But as I said... Its just my feeling... 😉

At last a highly technical, detailed review I can understand

Thanks for that! I appreciate the effort. 300% sounds pretty good to me, I'm always underwhelmed with the performance of most of my new machines...
(It's OK, I completely forgot the post as well, but I'm still in the market, just waiting for some 'down time' to implement it)

Hopefully prices have dropped further here in Oz since my last post. Time to check with my supplier...
Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wokka wrote:
At last a highly technical, detailed review I can understand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZB_Q7_5VZQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJDM60XVJwI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza,

Congrats on the rosy glow of a 300% +! I hope to follow you after I wrench every possible polyline and complex profile out of this current machine.

Hm, ... 300% ... Like a couple of dark chocolates with a late night coffee yes?, but of course then try to sleep after the chocolate and coffee!

All the best,
Mark