Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Cover & Background Fills for Beams

Anonymous
Not applicable
Beams should have Cover Fills and Background Fills!
There should be different fills for Cover Fill and Cut Fill, like Slabs, and not like Walls, where the fill is the same!

Right now I am modelling a pergola and I have to use the Fill Tool to cover the beam so it could be clear which one is above the other. I lost as much time drawing the Fills as making the Beams!
69 REPLIES 69
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Yes -- Absolutely! Especially now with Complex Profiles, the Beam Tool isn't just for beams anymore. We associate our parapet coping profile with the Beam Tool for sloped conditions, unfortunately, we also have to add a fill to hide the wall below.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Paul King
Advisor
Absolutely agree - a regular problem for me too.

Also, need ability to show beams as dashed lines on one OR MORE stories below and to be visable as normal lines on 1 OR MORE stories above.

This is currently impossible, yet so fundamental
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Yes, Please!
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Karl Ottenstein
kliment wrote:
Right now I am modelling a pergola and I have to use the Fill Tool to cover the beam so it could be clear which one is above the other. I lost as much time drawing the Fills as making the Beams!
Doesn't putting the cut plane through the upper beams achieve the same result? (If your cut fill is a solid fill ... or you use a Model View Option...) You would have to 'stack' that drawing on top of one with the rest of the model to get other plan elements to display properly of course...

Not that I disagree with the wish... 😉

Karl

[Oops - just noticed that the original post was 16 months ago... a little late to suggest workarounds. ]
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a biggie for me. Very frustrating inconsistency with the other tools and a serious limitation in all sorts of ways.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Has this ever been fixed?
Brett Brown
Advocate
Please tell me that I am wrong in saying, it STILL hasn't been fixed in 14
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
No change in AC14, Brett!