BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dimensioning openings with height problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a problem when dimensioning in plan view, with the “Display the height of openings as well” checked.

If I draw a straight wall (0 degrees angle) with a couple of windows and place the corresponding dimensions everything goes OK, width and height are shown.

But if I turn the wall (i.e. 5 degrees) and place a new line of dimensions, I only get the width of the openings. The curious part is that if I force the dimension line to be parallel to the wall, suddenly the height reapears.

Am I missing something or is this a bug? (In fact I have managed to reproduce the problem in a completly new project)

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
Jean,
I am not able to reproduce your problem. I did notice when placing dimension on an angled wall that I am not always picking the correct node(s) for the opening.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Erika,

Here are the detailed steps I follow to reproduce the issue:
  • Open a new project with default template and Standard 12 profile

Draw a straight wall and place a window (I used W1 Casement 12)

Dimension the wall and windows with the option “Display the height of openings as well” checked. OK (see Step1)

Drag a copy of the wall, turn it a few degrees, and dimension it again. Result: no height for the window (see Step 2)

Select the dimension line, click the “align dimension line” in the pet palet and select one side of the wall as the reference. OK again (Step 3)
I have reproduced the same behavior in the Spanish, the German and the International versions
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi Jean,

I think you are overlooking that when the dimension string is not parallel to what it is dimensioning, then the option to display the UNIT WIDTH & HEIGHT is intentially voided by the program.

Look at the screenshots you posted, spedifically Step 2 where the wall has been rotated, but the dimension string has not and is no longer parallel to what it is dimensioning. Note that the window width is no longer the unit width, but it is a correct live dimension. When the measured live dimension is no longer equal to the unit width, then the option to also display the unit height is no longer available.

This makes sense to me as if the unit height was displayed, someone reading the drawings might accidentally think the 0,895 is the unit width.

Whether you consider this as a bug or not is debatable. I prefer that the UNIT WIDTH & HEIGHT display is voided because it tells the archicad operator that the dimension string is not parallel to what it is dimensioning. And, as I said above this prevents someone from accidentally noting an incorrect unit width.

But feel free to disagree
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!