BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

HEY GDL Programmers! Can you model this? How much?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

We are lookingto get this chair modeled, and develop a relationship with someone who can produce high quality GDL objects.

We don't have more dimensions than shown, and making it look "right" is part of the deal.

I'd suggest a few parameters to help adjust its appearance.

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

Nathan
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is not very difficult to model this item with the AC.

If you want to model the crumpled leather too, then you will have to ask some Russian programmers - I have seen them model every crazy curtain you could imagine!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nathan wrote:
Hi there,

We are lookingto get this chair modeled, and develop a relationship with someone who can produce high quality GDL objects.

We don't have more dimensions than shown, and making it look "right" is part of the deal.

Nathan
To get the look and feel of this kind of model it may suit your needs better to look at getting them modelled in another program such as 3DS or Max. You might even find ready made models in DWG/DXF format. You can import the models to ArchiCAD.

Try looking at
http://www.buildingenvironments.com/
or
http://www.cad-101.com/s/free_cad_library
for ideas
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
If you want to model the crumpled leather too, then you will have to ask some Russian programmers - I have seen them model every crazy curtain you could imagine!
Doh
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the sites, here is another one a friend sent me:

http://www.archibase.net/gdl

These already have done the conversion, but who really wants to sort through 30+ web pages of chairs!

Plus, the one chair I downloaded as a test had 1000+ polygons. Until GS gets a better 3d engine, I'm wary of Pgon dense parts. Put six of those chairs around a table, and that's equal to 1000 walls!

(PolyCount is one of my favorite add-ons these days. I confess I don't understand how GS says a model of 200,000 pgons runs ok. Mine start to bog down at 40,000.)
Dwight
Newcomer
kliment wrote:
It is not very difficult to model this item with the AC.

Irrational fabric rumpling is easy, but requires a meticulous eye. This process requires NO GDL. Creating a rumpled surface requires manipulating a MESH, usually in 3D, to patiently add irregularities to a smooth, geometric mesh. Meshes have specific restrictions: they cannot overlap themselves, so to make a cushion requires mating two meshes with identical outlines but the upper mesh bulges upward and the lower mesh bulges down. Make the top mesh and bottom mesh have matching edge elevations by establishing the top mesh boundary nodes and then duplicating it. You'll also need to make ridges smooth in the mesh.

Once saved as an object, simple ROT commands applied to the 3D script provide a rotate and tilt capacity.

Most cushioned furniture is symmetrical, so you need only concern yourself with modeling one half of it.

Another trick from the ArchiGeezer's bag:

Unlike the leather surface of the lounge chair at issue, most upholstery is fabric and a little fuzzy. You emulate this by duplicating the top mesh of any cushion, elevate it by 2mm or so, and applying a partly transparent/finely perforated surface to the hovering mesh. This obscures mesh problems with a gossamer sheath. Sort of like an aging starlet's close-up.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the advice, Dwight! Always right!
But this method is very difficult and time consuming. If I have to model something so complex I would make it Max and export it to AC.

I had some spare time today and played with ArchiForma. Here is the result:
Learn and get certified!