BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Doors- Inside/Interior vs Outside/Exterior

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Again!

So Doors. I don't seem to understand the difference between inside and outside and interior and exterior, I think I decided it is a glitchy thing.

I put a door in plan- Under "general" I say OPENING DIRECTION>Inside

Then when I place the door, I have to click

OUTSIDE and to the direction I want the door panel to be.

So that is backwards, Can ANYONE tell me what " door reaveal orientation" is?

Now it is there opening that way I want it to, but duh- all of my insde materials are being applied to the door- on the exterior of my house- so i say inside- it thinks outside- even after specifying which was out and which was in.

I have worked around this stupidy for a while now, but it seems to me there is a right way and a wrong way to do this and I am doing it the wrong way, but it works.
So- Who knows the right way? Is there one?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Me too,
Joseph
TomWaltz
Participant
I like to believe there is some kind of logic at work there, but I have no idea what it might be.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
SO , we think that this is just the way it is? Everybody has this issue?
It's not terrible, we have all obviously learned how to use the Doors and windows to get what we want.

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
SO , we think that this is just the way it is? Everybody has this issue?
It's not terrible, we have all obviously learned how to use the Doors and windows to get what we want.

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I like to believe there is some kind of logic at work there, but I have no idea what it might be.
Even Tom!
TomWaltz
Participant
I get them to do what I want. Brute intimidation has its uses 😉
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
it's painful. i have no idea what the internal logic of door placement is either.

i just use the 'Flip' button in conjunction with the inside/outside toggle a lot to see if my jambs, stops, sills and swing end up where i actually wanted them . . .

it normally works, but there are occasions when i have to trick the door into believing that it's opening the wrong way . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Door and Window builder. I hope someday Archicad develops a similar approach to these complicated parts.
Learn and get certified!