BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Window heights and header/sill heights

Anonymous
Not applicable
When placing windows using the Andersen library I've had a problem setting the heights correctly. As shown in the image below, the object height is significantly larger than the actual window height and I can't seem to find out where the number is coming from and it changes with the window size or model. When I try to set the height of the top of the window I have to use this value rather than the size of the window and because the number is different for different windows it becomes difficult to set all windows on a particular story at the same level. I can't seem to find a way around this or figure out what I might be doing wrong. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Change the anchor(just below your red elipse) to "Header to wall base".
The dimension below that will be from the base of the wall to the header(top) of your window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem with that is that the wall base is not at the same level as story one. The wall is a composite (2x6 framing, 1/2" plywood sheathing, 1" airspace, and 3 5/8" brick). It extends past story one to a brick ledge on the foundation wall. I then used SEOs to allow the sub floor of story 1 to intersect the the 2x6 framing. This is shown in the image below.

Also, even when I change to Header to Wall Base or any other option for that matter, it still gives me 8'-1" (in this case, different numbers with different window models/sizes as described in the OP) as the object height which is significantly larger than the window itself.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This appears to be a glitch in the Flanker window. I looked at and compared rough opening sizes on the anderson tab with the settings in the parameters tab. All of the windows I checked (except the flanker) had the same rough openings in both. So far the Anderson package has been nothing but headaches for me. The Frenchwood doors don't show the opening line the same as they are in the product manuals. (among other things) We use Anderson windows exclusively but I gave up using their gsm's and now use the doors and windows in the Archicad libraries.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had two Anderson libraries (only one loaded) and I checked the file creation dates in each. It seems that the older library, titled "Andersen D&W Library", which I was using, had the glitch with the flanker. I then loaded the other library, titled "Andersen_US" (which is available from the GDL repository, I believe) and the glitch does not seem to be present in this library. Thanks for the help.
JaredBanks
Mentor
Where did you get the Andersen Window Library. I can't seem to find it.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can get it from the GDL object depository at the bottom of the Talk Forum Index page (08 Doors-Windows)
JaredBanks
Mentor
Thanks. Unfortunately those look like a revamped version of Andersen's older GDL objects for 7.0 or 7.5. I just finished a project using Marvin's latest objects in 11 and that was really nice. So far I'm unimpressed with the Andersen ones. I think I'll just tweak the standard objects.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Thomas Holm
Booster
The Marvin Windows and Doors GDL object library for Archicad 10 + is available here:
http://www.marvin.com/default.aspx?page=3D_CAD_Symbols_ArchiCAD

Unfortunately, the one you'll find when you Google points to a reseller who's only got the AC7 version and refers to GDL Central which is no longer in operation. Graphisoft??? - you should take control of that domain!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!