BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Window Question

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the Window Selection Settings window, under the category Floor Plan and Section ...

What does Enable Object's Linetypes and Enable Object's Pens mean? Also, when they say "symbol", are they talking about the window label or the floor plan drawing of the window?

Because I'm working on a historic structure, I would like for the window representation in plan to communicate the character of that window.
17 REPLIES 17
Erika Epstein
Booster
"Enable Objects's Linetypes and Pens" refers to the settings in the window/door settings box CTRL/T or CMD/T.
In the floor plan and section drop down window you show in your screen shot you have an opportunity to override those settings.

If you don't customize your windows and doors in their settings box (and save as a favorite) you can override the out-of-the-box settings by graphisoft to suit your office standards.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Thomas Holm
Booster
Erika wrote:
"Enable Objects's Linetypes and Pens" refers to the settings in the window/door settings box CTRL/T or CMD/T.
That is, those shown in the "Parameters" section...
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
In Parameters>Floor Plan Symbol, the setting for Symbol Pen is Pen 3 (1PT).

In Floor Plan and Section>Symbol & Outline, Symbol Line Pen is set to 7 (1.4MM).

Are these 2 settings for the same thing? Does one override the other?

Thomas - are you saying that the settings in the Parameters dialogue are the "mother" settings, and the settings in Floor Plan and Section are the "child" settings?

The settings in Parameters = Object's Linetypes and Pens?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Let's take an example: W1 Casement 11.gsm Window Object.
In the Parameters panel there are parameters that control the appearance of the object. Under the 2D Representation group of parameters you will find pens for the Symbol, the Frame, the Swing etc. These can all be set to different pens so your Window will look colorful on the Floor Plan if you want. The 2D Script of the Window library part is written in such a way so as to use these pens for the various components of the Window. ArchiCAD will use these if you check the Enable Object's Pens under the SYMBOL & OUTLINE category in the Floor Plan and Section panel.
However, if you do not check that checkbox, then ArchiCAD will use a single pen for the 2D Representation of the Window object. This pen you can set in the Symbol Line Pen field below this checkbox.
So when this checkbox is not checked, it is sure that your whole Window is drawn using the same Pen in 2D.
If it is checked, it is still possible that your whole 2D is dispalyed using the same Pen because maybe all the various pens controlling the various components of the Window are set to the same Pen (but you can change each one of them).
This works the same way for Symbol Linetypes.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Thomas Holm
Booster
mc0m wrote:
Thomas - are you saying that the settings in the Parameters dialogue are the "mother" settings, and the settings in Floor Plan and Section are the "child" settings?
Well, the object determines what Parameters it has, and if and how you're able to change them. Those that it wants listed you can see in the parameter list.
Some objects (example AC11 doors & windows) have special settings panes that deal with its parameters. They're still accessible in the parameter list, though.

The FPS settings determine how the project deals with the object and it's (optional) parameters.

The settings in Parameters = Object's Linetypes and Pens?
In short, yes.

See Lazlo's more detailed explanation above.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much Thomas and laszlonagy!

This really helps my understanding.

Now I'm curious as to why the options are built this way. I think that in AC9 we only had the Parameters window - I don't remember having an override on top of that - or maybe it was just presented differently. I just jumped from AC9 to AC11 and feeling very unclear about a lot of things.

Still don't get the "why" of it. Seems like having the options in the parameters is enough?
Thomas Holm
Booster
Lazlo does explain the whys a bit. This override has been there for ages. I think some hands-on training on the recent version would pay for itself for you. This is evident from this thread and your others. Talk to your reseller or search the net.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone have advice/thoughts on which way to go? I've been using the parameters (objects linetypes and pens) but realistically, I would probably be happy with just the one pen as set under 'floor plan & section'
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Lazlo does explain the whys a bit. This override has been there for ages. I think some hands-on training on the recent version would pay for itself for you. This is evident from this thread and your others. Talk to your reseller or search the net.
I've had 2 training sessions at $100/hr. I've done the tutorials. My reseller does not provide intro training. It's very frustrating to me and I really can't afford any more sessions @ $100/hr.
Learn and get certified!