Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Cascading values lists

Erich
Contributor
Hi all,

Is it possible, and if so how, to have a cascading values list such that by selecting a particular value for one parameter you can thereby set the possible values for a second parameter?

I have set up a values list for the first, unrestricted, parameter...no issues there. I then tried to use a series of IF/THEN statements to restrict the possible values for the second parameter based on the selection for the first but it seems that AC will not read these statements to generate the selection criteria.

Looking through the GDL Reference manual and the cookbook doesn't seem to yeild any answers tonight. Or perhaps I am just tired and don't see them.

Thanks
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
2 REPLIES 2
Example: This is from my steel W shape object. Rather than a list of every shape, I use one param for the height and another for the weight. Certain heights only have certain weights, so the weight values offered vary depending on the selected height.

!! htdes is height designation
!! wtdes is weight designation

VALUES 'htdes' '4','5','6','8','10','12','14','16','18','21','24','36'

IF htdes='4' THEN
    VALUES 'wtdes' '13'
ENDIF
IF htdes='5' THEN
    VALUES 'wtdes' '16','19'
ENDIF

!! etc for each height value....
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Erich
Contributor
Thanks James.

I think I tried to declare all values up front and then create the IF/THEN statements to control what showed up - it didn't work so I deleted that portion of the code.

What you show in your example makes much more sense if I stop to think about it.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K