Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Detail Scales

Brett Brown
Advocate
When you have all your standard details set up for grid layouts etc and sometimes you need to change the scale of the detail. So everything changes proportionally as you expect except labels and there arrow heads and plain lines with arrow heads. So I have to spend time to changing them to look like scaled text size. Is this another basic thing Archicad can't do or am I doing something wrong? Suggestions?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brett,

I believe you are right, As far as I can tell labels stay a fixed height regardless of the scale. I should imagine this is generally what would be expected to happen. If it didn't and you changed the scale you may not be able to read the text!

A way around it perhaps could be to change the overall scale in the drawing selection settings after it's placed on the layout, so it stays proportionally the same as before, just viewed at a different scale.

You could also try saving the detail as a PDF and place that instead.

Or even have two sets of labels on different layers depending on the scale you need.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another possible procedure is to label on the layouts themselves. If you decide to change the scale of the detail, your font size and arrows will remain the same and they only have to be rearranged a bit to accommodate the different scaling.

I have found that I often reopened the source view for editing anyway to make it more compact or readable, so labeling on the layout can kill two or more birds with one stone.

The downside is that the labels will not be seen if the source view is used on another layout page.
Brett Brown
Advocate
Thanks for that Peter and Chris. A scaled label like scaled text would solve this right? Is there a reason for not having that option in Labels? Or is there such a thing available somewhere?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Brett wrote:
Is this another basic thing Archicad can't do or am I doing something wrong? Suggestions?
Normally you want 'paperspace-dimensioned stuff' (text, labels)'s size to remain constant. Your text and labels should look the same and be equally readable regardless of what the drawing scale is.

If for some extraordinary situation you want to get the effect of reducing/enlarging the whole paperspace drawing, drawing and text elements, as you would do in a copy machine, you can do that in the drawing settings in the layout book. Maybe for issuing a one-off quick sketch you need to fit in a Letter-size or something. For typical situations it makes sense to control all of this from the view settings and not from the drawing settings.