Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dimensioning disappears on layout

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am using a German version of archicad 12 and have problems with he dimensioning. I will try to translate specific terms from archicad, but I am not sure wether they 're correct.

I used the dimensioning-tool (Bemaßungswerkzeug) in my floorplans in the "drawing" or "model" window (Zeichnung). Then I placed my drawing onto a layout using the "save section and place on layout"-tool (ausschnit sichern und auf layout platzieren) by clicking right on "first floor" (EG) in the navigator and choosing the tool from the drop down list. the layout-window opened and I placed my drawing. But the dimensioning wasn't showing.
So I also tried it with drag and drop in the organizer (Organisator), but nothing changed.
All layers are opened and unlocked. I can't find any setting possibility in the drawing-settings. I also tried different modi in the quick-settings, such as "execution planning" (Ausführungsplanung) instead of "individual".

Direct printing from the drawing window works, but this is not the way it should be, isn't it?

What also confuses me is that two friends of mine using the same version as I do, have completely different experiences with this topic.
For one everything works correct and the dimensioning doesn't disappear, no matter what way she puts it on "layout".
For the other one the dimensioning also vanishes when she uses "save section and place on layout" but does not when she uses drag and drop within the organizer.

I thought I probably overlooked something, but how then can archicad 12 work in such a different way as the examples of my friends show?

Thank you for reading and helping me.
Please tell me if you need more information.

best wishes
apfel
7 REPLIES 7
Erika Epstein
Booster
Apfel,
You must first save a VIEW with the correct layer combination (scale, MVO etc.) that will include the layer the dimensions are on.
Then the view/drawing you place on the layout will have the information you want.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your help.
I am not quite sure if I followed your instructions correctly as I might have misunderstood the walkthrough.

That's what I did: in the drawing window, right click on first floor in navigator, dropdown opened, click on "save section" (ausschnitt sichern), then click on "save section and place on layout" in the same drop down. The window changed to layout and I placed my section. And again no dimensioning was to see.

Of course I checked again that all layers were unlocked and visible.

Please tell me if I made a mistake following your instruction.

Best wishes
apfel
Anonymous
Not applicable
in addition

I just tried wether the problem exists in new data as well.
It doesn't. It is only not working in my topical project. They both do have the same template.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Apfel,
1. You need to create a VIEW in the VIEW MAP saving it with the appropriate Layer Combination, model view option (MVO), dimension profile etc. as shown at the bottom of the VIEW MAP.

2. Place by dragging and dropping this VIEW onto a Layout sheet.

If you create the drawing on the layout sheet directly from the PROJECT VIEW (Orange Symbols) then the drawing will not be saved with a specific Layer combination.

See the CREATE VIEW section in the archicad help in the file menu.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much for this picture.
I followed your instruction, but I couldn't find anything about layer settings in the framed area.
Anyway in the placed view on layout now not only the dimensioning is missing, also various walls, doors, windows and claddings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check the Partial Structure Display in the view settings.

Dimensions can be associated with either the core, finish, or the entire structure depending on what was turned on at the time the dimension was placed. If the finish is turned off, any dimension associated with it will turn off also.

I'm guessing you may have the finishes turned off in the view, but not on the floorplan.

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter

Thank you very much!
Although I have no idea when I had changed this settings (I never even looked at them before), but it worked.
Also the other way (save view and place on layout) works again.

Thanks again as well to Erika.

yours
apfel