Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you draw this in ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to draw this model I have made for a project at University. So far I have only drawn a 3D house in ArchiCAD, but that was made up from walls etc. What I want is a basic frame to show the shape and intersection of my model. Which tools etc, would I use to get it 3D

photo-6.jpg
82 REPLIES 82
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
So should I just add the end pieces ( rounded-edged with the joining hole ) separately by:
Have the centre piece with straight ends set at an offset of 100mm each curve, then add the curved end piece of which are always the same, then add them all together as a fill i.e no individual pieces, then use OBJECTiVE to make them round ?
No - keep the curved and flat segments as separate pieces. If you add them together, the curve continues through the point where you want the segments to fit together and they will clash. So make each curved part using the progressively extended fill, and then place two copies of the end piece at either end. You only need group the 3 parts for each segment - you won't see the join when it's rendered.
NStocks wrote:
When I come to cutting sections and adding dimensions, should I just manually add dimensions i.e not use the actual ones that are on the drawing ? The reason I ask it because they will be bigger or smaller than what is actually shown on the model. Although I may need to use the same procedure when creating the model out of materials.
If you can model the object accurately and use the dimensions as they automatically appear, then so much the better. But if the model is not strictly correct then you will need to override the dimension figures as required.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
No - keep the curved and flat segments as separate pieces. If you add them together, the curve continues through the point where you want the segments to fit together and they will clash. So make each curved part using the progressively extended fill, and then place two copies of the end piece at either end. You only need group the 3 parts for each segment - you won't see the join when it's rendered.

I'm still having problems when it comes to adding the end pieces to the curved profiles. Do I just drag and drop them, because I can't line them up correctly.

Sorry for all the questions
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I'm still having problems when it comes to adding the end pieces to the curved profiles. Do I just drag and drop them, because I can't line them up correctly.
Just place the end profiles (as you would any other object) and drag them to abut the curved profile. This will be easier in 3D - refer to the attached image. I've selected the pet palette option to drag the end profile vertically, and snapped it to the end of the curved profile. Don't worry about the line where they abut, it won't be visible in renderings.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
In order to make them appear in 3D as they are just a fill at the moment, do I use OBJECTiVE and make them into an elevation, but don't actually change any settings, just apply the line of where it would curve if I wanted them to ?

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
In order to make them appear in 3D as they are just a fill at the moment, do I use OBJECTiVE and make them into an elevation, but don't actually change any settings, just apply the line of where it would curve if I wanted them to ?
I think it would help to read the manual a bit, particularly the section on making and using profiled objects. It explains how to do all of this and has a lot of helpful illustrations. I've attached a portion from page 19 that walks you through the process of creating an elevation profile.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Right, I think I know where I've completely messed up. If you see my screenshot, I have 9 separate profiles across the screen. From your screenshot it looks like each profile is laid on top of each other i.e the smallest OBJECTiVE profile ( Fold1 ) been at the bottom the progressive sizes on top of that and then being rotated vertically 90 degrees, the main Fill profile been on that also. From my screenshot, could you still do it properly i.e get them all to line up correctly as I don't know which specific rotate tool to use from ArchiCAD as there is the: Edit > Move > Alignment and many options OR Edit> Align ?

Also when I view anything in 3D, it's like there is a certain limit to where I can rotate The screenshot shows this because I wasn't able to get the plan completely flat, the way I wanted it. Is there something that I need to change in the settings dialog ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
3D :

EDIT: The reason 3D wasn't rotating on the full axis is because I mistakenly chose the perspective, not the Axonometry from the 3D mode
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
could you still do it properly i.e get them all to line up correctly as I don't know which specific rotate tool to use from ArchiCAD as there is the: Edit > Move > Alignment and many options OR Edit> Align ?
I assume you mean aligning them all horizontally, so the holes in each segment are all concentric? If so, just drag them into position. The alignment tools won't help because they align on the basis of the object's bounding box.

The difference between the two Alignment tools is that Edit > Align only works in 2 dimensions - OBJECTiVE's tool works in all 3 dimensions.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
NStocks wrote:
could you still do it properly i.e get them all to line up correctly as I don't know which specific rotate tool to use from ArchiCAD as there is the: Edit > Move > Alignment and many options OR Edit> Align ?
I assume you mean aligning them all horizontally, so the holes in each segment are all concentric? If so, just drag them into position. The alignment tools won't help because they align on the basis of the object's bounding box.

The difference between the two Alignment tools is that Edit > Align only works in 2 dimensions - OBJECTiVE's tool works in all 3 dimensions.
I tried dragging them into position, but they never snapped to the correct place.

Did you create all the profiles on top of each other ( unlike mine ) ? Would this have made it easier to line up ?

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I tried dragging them into position, but they never snapped to the correct place.

Did you create all the profiles on top of each other ( unlike mine ) ? Would this have made it easier to line up ?
Do you have hotspots on the circumference of the hole? If so, use those to align them. Or use the circle tool to place circles over the holes so you can snap to the centres when dragging. For this type of exercise, it probably wouldn't hurt to line them up by eye-ometer either.

Yes, I drew them all lined up. It was like an assembly line - make the profile, bend it, flip it over 90 degrees (and out of the way), and rotate in 2D to the next position. Then repeat with the next, etc. I sketched a few construction lines/circles onto the floor plan to ensure all the rotations were done about the same axis every time.
Ralph Wessel BArch