Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD for iPAD

Odd Goderstad
Booster
I want a ArchiCAD Light for iPAD! Please!
Do not need full .do notneed full pln support, but viewer functionality, and possibility to make and edit simplyfied models.

Also VBE for iPAD.

(Great marketing gimmic also )
🙂 Odd Goderstad
GS Norge
Oslo, Norway
Always the latest version ArchiCAD mostly on Windows
twitter: @OddGoderstad
26 REPLIES 26
ArchiPAD!

from archiTOSH:

iPad for CAD

Over at WorldCAD Access Ralph Grabowski is asking the question of who will get their CAD software to work on iPad first? From what we recall there are already some basic vectorial drawing applications on the iPhone today. Do these count as CAD for iPad?

There is a mention (quoting Randall Newton of AECnews.com) that perhaps it will be the ArchiCAD folks or the Vectorworks folks who will get their CAD on iPad first. The assumption here is likely because they already make OS X native CAD software and because they are big software companies and can afford porting over to the ARM platform. Hmmm…perhaps?

Anyway, I’d be curious from Architosh readers to know what they think about CAD on the iPad. Would you want to draw on it or just do CAD mark-up work, particularly in meetings and in the field? Let us know…comments below appreciated!
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Theres a software called cadtouch on the iphone. It is a 2D based cad program and seems quite good although i have not tried it and is very limited in its capabilities (understandably so since it is trying to work on very limited hardware).

If there was a BIM solution then i would seriously consider using the ipad, gpad or whatever to take on site and enable drawings to be accessed while walking around the site. Very handy.
sityu
Booster
Aaron wrote:
Would you want to draw on it or just do CAD mark-up work, particularly in meetings and in the field? Let us know…comments below appreciated!
Of course, the portability and the size of iPad-like handheld devices predestinate these devices to use mostly for reviewing functions.

So the first step should be the updating the project reviewer (and porting from java to javascript).
Of course there is no real use of the attempt of a full featured tablet/iPad archicad at first (sure it would be a faliure, beacuse of many reasons). Maybe some basic sketching/drawing features shuld start in these phase.

The second step should be the improving of the user interface of the project reviewer: turning the reviewing from paper-like display on an lcd into a real digital visualization - e.g.: interactive dimensioning (not a constant dimensioning line, but a dimensioning line of the tapped object); and other user interface feature fine tuning (and research on new ways of ui in cad/bim).

And after all of these steps should the development turn into real BIM drawing.

I think.
Talmácsi, István, architect (AC user since 1997, ac4.5 - now: ac18)
Odd Goderstad
Booster
3D! It has to be 3D!
🙂 Odd Goderstad
GS Norge
Oslo, Norway
Always the latest version ArchiCAD mostly on Windows
twitter: @OddGoderstad
Christiaan
Participant
I voted essential on this. Why? Because multi-touch is the future. I can see a time when we're back on high chairs with A1/A0 size multi-touch displays tilted like our dusty old drawings boards. Multi-touch is infinitely more powerful than a mechanical pointer.

Maybe, however, this is a chance for a startup to steal the thunder from the established CAD/BIM software developers and build something entirely new from the ground up, based natively on IFC.

Similar discussion on VW forum: http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=136308
T_Morse
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
You can get a fully functional ArchiCAD on your iPhone already it just takes a small bit of work. If you set up a VPN or VNC app on your iPhone you can control your computer through your iPhone over 3G or Wifi. It wont be the fastest solution but it works really well if you just needed to pull up schedules or look at elevations even navigate around in 3D. As far as drafting goes you can do it but its not the easiest thing in the world, due to the fact that you don't have an intelligent curser. But, the nice thing about this solution is that your iPhone is not doing any of the computing. Its just displaying what is currently on your computers screen and allows you to interact with it.

You can even take this idea and apply it to your BIM Server machine and now you can completely control your BIM server from anywhere. Seeing that the BIM server is mostly just buttons and text it works extremely well.

I did this on an iPhone 3GS with a free VNC app called Mocha VNC light. There are other pay for VNC and VPN apps that may work better but I found Mocha VNC light to work just fine.

As far as applying this idea to an iPAD it should work even better given that they allow VPN or VNC apps to run on it. But we will have to wait for it to come out before we really know for sure.
Tim Morse
Support Engineer
Graphisoft North America
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Yes, a Viewer would be nice.
The iPad is large enough so you can actually see something.
I agree and since I don't have a laptop, I'd love to give it a try. Something I could sit on the couch with and watch a little tv while I'm working.
ternullomelo
Newcomer
I would like to see Archicad work with augmented reality on iPad or iPhone...
That would be really amazing. A lot better than Virtual Building Explorer.
One could go to the site and see the building before its done, or see MEP systems, furniture, partition walls during construction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TERNULLOMELO ARCHITECTS

Estaleiro Naval Rocha do Conde de Óbidos 1399-036 Lisboa Portugal

T 00 351 21 391 59 98
F 00 351 21 391 59 97

www.ternullomelo.com
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That would be great.
But first the iPad must have a camera in it like the iPhone does.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Looks like AutoCAD is there, but 2D is easy peasy, right?

http://www.aecbytes.com/newsletter/2010/issue_46.html

Cheers,
Link.