BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC13 - traditional window issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am having a series of problems re-creating a traditional residential window. See attached image. Note: I used four windows for this, three "W Double Hung 13" and one transom window "W Arched Cas 13"; and then adding all transom mullions and muntins by hand (wall bits). Last muntins not in yet.

Quick and dirty sketch on right is intended window....

#1: Brick sill: Is turned OFF on transom, and the "reveal/wall closure" material selector is greyed out. How do I get rid of "sill" color (which by the way shouldn't exist)? I turned the brick sill back on just to see if the sill color selection would become available, but no dice.

#2: This one should be easy, but I just can't seem to find the place to turn off the symbol showing the sash opening direction.

#3: Weird tiny curved section of brick in upper right corner of transom.

#4: In transom, why is wood segmented instead of true curve? I changed magic wand, no help there. Looked everywhere for a curve resolution setting in the transom...

Thanks for your help.
Snap

Arched Window Problems.jpg
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
2. In 13 this is now a global Model View Option. All door & window swings on or off.

3. Hard to say. What are your brick settings?(screen shot)

4.On the Parameters tab> 3D Representation >Curve resolution.
Try setting it to 72 .
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
snapcrackle:

I cannot tell you your method is poor because you seem to be close to a final solution. Another approach for this type of window is to place an arched opening in the wall for the overall brick opening, then place a thinner wall within the opening, then place the individual windows into this thinner wall so the thinner wall becomes the separating mulls. I think this approach is closer to how this type of window would be built in the field.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Peter Bennison
Contributor
"Erika Epstein" wrote:
2. In 13 this is now a global Model View Option. All door & window swings on or off.

Well thanks Erika, was wondering where 3D door swing preferences had gone in AC13 objects
Archicad 21 FR MacBook 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 16Mo RAM MacOS Sierra
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for the posts,

#1 more screen shots to help see what I've done. BTW the windows below the transom have "gang" checked, and "casing" unchecked, for the header, and masonry arch OFF. Well I can always add a slab to cover this up.
#2 Model view options totally solved this.
#3 see screen shots, I think the element they tied wallhole to is buggy.
#4 set curve resolution to 72, then 144, curious results: fixed all but one curve, and the opposite side of same piece of wood is fixed. See image for remaining straight line segment. Maybe a bug?

I should have read the "Archicad 13 New Features Section", so double thanks for answering the model view question.

Snap
Learn and get certified!