Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD 13 slow

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anyone else getting super slow update and publishing from legacy jobs (v 10,11,12) in version 13???
We've had a single small residential plan take over 15mins to update drawings when in 12 it takes less than 3mins.
It's getting to a point here where I am about to get our users to abandon 13 completely! It really is that bad!!
26 REPLIES 26
Rick Thompson
Expert
For what it is worth, I am in a similar situation. I have many, many plans started pre 6.5, and some 4.5. I have always been able to migrate with only minor headaches. I am not on a PC, so maybe that is a factor for your issue this go around. My issue seems to be related to updating all drawings… (linked and internal). After that, I get a general slow down. But, that's it, and again, many plans have been migrating for 15 years or so. Personally upgrading is must as I have benefited a lot from the added abilities over the years.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick

I'm not going to lie, it's kinda nice to hear that someone on mac is having the same issue! I've got a mac at home but wasn't able to recreate the issue there!
(That pushed my windows rage up a notch!)

It's really quite random as to which .pln's fail but it is happening to at least 40% of them here! The strangest part is all of these models were drawn from the same template and there is no definable differences between them.

Don't get me wrong, almost every release over the years has benefitted us too but for the first time since version 5 I'm actually angry at the issues that have cropped up!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was able to install missing(?) parts of Windows DirectX 9 components needed to run AC 13 better in Windows 7. Hope that helps you too.

tip came from:
http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/61552-directx-feb-2010-update-released.html

Microsoft installation package:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0cef8180-e94a-4f56-b157-5ab8...
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK turns out our specific problem was caused by a mass of pen sets (200+)
13 apparently updates the pen sets pop up in the quick options and it is actually a bug.

I've found that one of our drafting teams had a general notes/details pln they were copying from and pasting to. This has lead to pen sets building up and being imported into the contract drawings. It seems after version 10 this pen sets copying stopped but it explains exactly why our legacy projects were such a nightmare!

Strip the pen sets back to the minimum you need in attribute manager and it decreases the update times dramatically!!!

I hope this helps anyone else out there having headaches
Arcadia
Booster
Kristian wrote:
Hi Laslo

I actually started this post after logging a support item with GS Aus! I hadn't heard back and was starting to lose my patience (and mind) with 13!
GS HQ do now have a copy of one of our problematic files so I'm hoping for technical answers soon!

As soon as I hear from GS I'll share the answers!
Asking for help from tech support in Aus is a waste of time. I have never had a single response to an Arkiklub technical query I have posted.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow! That is pretty bad!! I do get annoyed with the delays we get but if it takes too long I call the WA Bussiness Development Manager and make a little noise! It is a little dfferent for us though as we have quite a few licences!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Kristian, Mark T here. I get quite the opposite. Older jobs once migrated to 13 just fly. I'm so used to the speed of 13 I tear my hair out opening any legacy jobs in 10. Considering on average our files are around 30-40MB in size, I prefer to bring them across when I can. If could be that 64bit ArchiCAD has the advantage here??!!!
Arcadia
Booster
I'm running 64bit and I find archicad slower than v12! The only advantage 64 bit has given me is the extra ram to run multiple archicad instances.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
G'day Mark!

Yeah we're testing a machine on Win 7 64 and have found it quicker in general! All our new jobs created from our 13 template seem to be fairly issue free (except for some windows permissions nightmares)
As for XP 32 bit v13, we've got some decent drag compared to 12!
But windows lately has been driving me round the bend!!
That's a whole other story though!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
What was the outcome of all of this.....? 5 months on it would be interesting to understand what everyone has found.

Have you abandoned V13? Have you moved to V14?

Have you you been able to successfully migrate files without the slowness?

What operating systems are you now using?