Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curtain Wall STRUGGLES

DaveOlufs
Participant
I feel like an idiot. I have been trying to install a simple glass storefront with a door in it. Why does this curtain wall put a frame in a frame and why does it put the door upside down???

What looked like a door handle was about 36" from the top of a 7ft high door. I got rid of the door handle. But I can not change the swing direction. I'm an idiot with 34 years of drafting experience and I can't put a simple #$%^&* door in a curtain wall or storefront. Not to mention that I've screwed something up so bad that every time I go to save or view in 3d, I have to hit the continue but because it's WRONG...

I really struggle with this AC. I'm ready to throw it out and start drawing in 2d. At least I know it will work and I don't have to play games and can concentrate on design and not struggle with the application to put a simple door or window in...

I just want to concentrate on design and not fight with this program.

And what's with all the joints in the frame system?

And who can figure out how to install an overhead door that looks like a real world installation? Why does AC try to force the OH door into an opening. It covers the opening, either inside or outside... NOT in the opening at least where I've been working.

Very frustrated...

Picture 2.jpg
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have a question or are you just venting frustration?

I know how you feel. I've been modeling ceilings in Revit all day
DaveOlufs
Participant
Yes, I was venting.

1) And yes, how does one install a door in a curtain wall without a separate frame around the door?

2) How do you get rid of bottom frame at the door? It's not suppose to be there.

3) How can I change the door swing for proper clearance and ADA access?

4) How do I locate the door handles in the correct location, not 3ft from the top of the 7ft door? The door looks to be installed upside down.

5) Why is a 'garage' door forced in the wall opening? It is not installed nor meant to fit in the open but covers the hole on the inside or outside. How does one work around this frustrating, illogical tool? Why doesn't GS use an OH door to properly help set the parameters?
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
Eduardo Rolon
2) Select the bottom frame and turn it invisible. You will need to change its intersection priority so that the lateral frames finish were they supposed to. I know this because I had to write it down to remember it to avoid going crazy.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Happy St. CW Struggle Patrick's Day,

Answer to #2) You can also select the frame under the door, and change the thickness to 0". That pulls the door down but the problem I have is it also pulls the insertion depth down with the door and below the line of boundary frame.

Question 2a) How do you get the bottom of the door panel to line up with the bottom frame?

Question 6) How do you get the CW Door swings to follow the Model View Option of showing door headers only, not the swing? The CW door swing is all over our RCPs.
DaveOlufs
Participant
Thanks St Patricks...

What is an RCPs?

Another thing I noticed was that in the CW tool box, once I set all the parameters for a door, I couldn't use the Eye Dropper/Syringe to transfer the parametric settings to the next door. So... I had to set the parameters for each individual doooooor. That was very helpful.

I just have to keep reminding myself that with all my time struggling with the virtual model, is time I don't spend drafting elevations in 2d. I must remember that...

That being said, I'm still not happy with the look of the 3d elevations. There's no depth, no contrast... And I would never show the 3d views to a client for fear of having to explain why colors and textures are not what I set up or what their building looks like... And finally, I spend too much time setting parameters. My 'favorites' seem to be relegated to their original drawing.

Oh well, what's time and money...?

Happy St Patrick's Day!!!
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, sorry - RCP = Reflected Ceiling Plan.

As for picking up and injecting parameters between CW Doors, you can carry them over when you are in the CW 3D Editor by picking up the panel hosting the CW Door and injecting it into another panel.
DaveOlufs
Participant
Duh, RCPs, RFP, RFIs. Sorry.

I can't go from CW panel to another...? Just from one door to another in the same CW panel.

It's time for green beer or a Guiness...
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
DaveOlufs wrote:
And I would never show the 3d views to a client for fear of having to explain why colors and textures are not what I set up or what their building looks like...
Dave:

I use Hidden Line perspectives (usually in black & white) to show the model in presentations while avoiding the color/texture issues.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's been a while since I've used the curtain wall tool. Let's se what I can remember...

Most of these depend on the specifics of the door part parameters and scripts. I agree that the default options leave a bit to be desired.
DaveOlufs wrote:
1) And yes, how does one install a door in a curtain wall without a separate frame around the door?
With the standard door panel it is not possible to make the frame go away completely but you can minimize it by adjusting the parameters. It's thickness can be set to zero. This will leave a single plane flickering at the mullions in 3D but this is only visible when the door is open.
2) How do you get rid of bottom frame at the door? It's not suppose to be there.
It doesn't seem to be possible to delete it but you can make it thinner to represent the threshold.
3) How can I change the door swing for proper clearance and ADA access?
In the standard part this is in the "Options" set of parameters. To reverse the swing select "side hung mirrored". It is screwy and this door does things no door should be doing, but if you avoid the spin handle and just use the parameters you can get what you want. There is also an option for inside and outside swing.
4) How do I locate the door handles in the correct location, not 3ft from the top of the 7ft door? The door looks to be installed upside down.
See above.
5) Why is a 'garage' door forced in the wall opening? It is not installed nor meant to fit in the open but covers the hole on the inside or outside. How does one work around this frustrating, illogical tool? Why doesn't GS use an OH door to properly help set the parameters?
This is a problem with the library part. It's made that way. You need a different part. I have made coiling doors and other custom parts for my clients for this reason. You can do a one-off by modeling it and saving as a library part. There is a pretty good explanation of this in the GDL Manual. The trick to making the opening smaller than the door is to use a slab with the ID of "WALLHOLE" to define the opening.