Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Split Levels

Anonymous
Not applicable
What would be the quickest and the recommended way to utilize archicad when your working with a split level home in terms of storeys? Would you set-up 2 different stories? I want to be able to work on the one storey/plan and print the one story/plan but with both levels (split levels) on.

Thanks guys!
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the difference in level? If it's less than a reasonable Floor Plan Cut Plane height (i.e. under a metre) I would probably do it all on one storey. If more than that do as separate stories, and stitch views together on your layout.
Erika Epstein
Booster
And if you choose to do it on one story, you can use Reference levels to help you place objects and structure relative to the secondary level.
Options>Project Preferences>Reference Levels
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
...and/or Gravity
Anonymous
Not applicable
most of my work is multi split levels.. i just use one story for the all levels and set all the walls outside the cutting plain to "symbolic cut". been doing this for 3 years and never had an issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable
heres an example of 2 of my current jobs
delete.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable
The difference is 540mm so it's definately under a metre...It sounds easier to keep everything on one story. Would it be the best then to move objects, slabs, doors etc in elevation/section mode or from the ie Wall Selection Settings?

Thanks for the tip guys, you've been very helpful!
Anonymous
Not applicable
""""""PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:37 am Post subject: Re: Split Levels Reply with quote
most of my work is multi split levels.. i just use one story for the all levels and set all the walls outside the cutting plain to "symbolic cut". been doing this for 3 years and never had an issue.""""

How would you set the "symbolic cut", if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks alot!
Anonymous
Not applicable
mzjustjess wrote:
The difference is 540mm so it's definately under a metre...It sounds easier to keep everything on one story. Would it be the best then to move objects, slabs, doors etc in elevation/section mode or from the ie Wall Selection Settings?

Thanks for the tip guys, you've been very helpful!
If you have a slab at the level required you can use the Gravity function to place walls, objects etc at that level.

If you have these things already placed and need to move them there are several ways, and they all have their own merits. Use the Elevate command (CMD+9 on MAc or CTRL+9 for PC) in plan and input the amount. Do this in the 3D window and you can drag things vertically on screen. In Section / Elevation use the Drag command.

Sometimes its easier to select a wall (for instance) and just change its base setting in the Info box, then the top plate height remains the same.

Skin a cat = many ways.
Picture 3.png