Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimensioning windows

GFBArchitect
Participant
Sometimes when I dimension windows to the center line, it seems to do it just fine but later, when I've plotted the drawing, I see that ArchiCad has changed it to show the dimension to one edge of the window instead. What causes this?
Gayle Berkey, Architect

Littleton, CO

AC-20 USA, ACPI x64 PC, Win10 Pro, i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz 32Gb ram
9 REPLIES 9
Erika Epstein
Booster
Am I correct in understanding that it shows in AC one way but prints differently?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
GFBArchitect
Participant
The program changes the dimension on the drawing. I'm not sure if it happens after printing or after closing / opening program.
Gayle Berkey, Architect

Littleton, CO

Arcadia
Booster
I would change your dimensioning method to dimension the width of the window not the center. I would have thought this was a more useful dimension for the builder than a centre dimension? Not sure why this would happen - what library are the windows from? I have a 3D library object from a third party library that consistently does weird things with dimensions so maybe it is a code issue with the windows?
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
GFBArchitect
Participant
Builders specifically want the windows dimensioned to the centerline as they may bid several windows with slightly different r.o.'s Thanks for the reply.
Gayle Berkey, Architect

Littleton, CO

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds a lot like the 'jumping dimensions' game that happens here!!!
It is something to do with the hotspots in the object it's self!
We have it happen here a heap on one object in particular and I have been told it has something to do with the GDL hotspot's ID and when ArchiCAD rebuilds.
It's annoying to say the least!!!!
We get around it by dimensioning a hotspot and then dragging said hotspot into position!!
In saying that I seriously do not recommend that method!!!
Barry Kelly
When you dimension a hotspot that is scripted into an object and that hotspot has an ID number then that dimension will lock to that hotspot and move when ever the hotspot moves.

If the hotspot does not have an ID then the dimension will not adjust.

The problem with hotspot ID's occurs if your object has automatically numbering ID's (i.e "HSID = HSID + 1" in the scripts).
Then if a hotspot is not used or a new one is (within IF / THEN statements)
or you call another macro with hotspaots with ID's then all of the ID numbers will get mixed up and the dimension will try to link to the hotspot that had the original ID number.
This could be a completely different hotspot now or it may no longer exist at all.
Which is why dimension jump around or disappear.

The best solution is to hard code all of the ID numbers which means individually numbering all of the hotspots in a script manually.
Still doesn't help when you call in a macro but this is not usally a big problem and can be worked around.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry

I've actually tried all that mate! For some reson it just wont stick!!
I must admit it happens less now but it still pops up every now and then!
Barry Kelly
Hi Kristian,
It can be very frustrating.
Converting an existing object to have static ID's isn't always easy as you have to follow the order the hotspots are created in and IF/THEN and GOSUBS complicate the matter considerably.
If you do convert to static ID's you can only assume (hope!) that objects dimensioned in the future will behave correctly and that already dimensioned objects may still mess up.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ahhhh That is one thing I havent actually tried, going thru in the actual read order not the script order!!!
I'm actually going to have to give that a crack!! Thanks for the heads up on that one mate!!