Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone heard something about Archicad 14?

what new or improved features or release date or something?

Thanks
107 REPLIES 107
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just dont know why no one from GS is here to share with us what they think and why they do stuff like they do...
owen
Newcomer
Cleverbeans wrote:
upintheclouds wrote:
Im not a programmer but would have thought that having to write a version for Windows and for Mac is twice the work...
This is generally not the case, it's very easy to make software work with both these days with few or no changes to the code although this may not be true for ArchiCAD since it's ancient by software standards. Purely windows development could simplify some aspects, but it's unlikely to be the game changer you'd think it would be.

The problems that I see Graphisoft having with development time as I see it have more to do with the original design of the software and the problems that result from maintaining a procedural code base than from a lack of effort or skill from their programmers....
Provided you do not use many platform-specific tools like .NET on Windows it can make almost no difference to develop cross-platform software as the vast majority of the non-UI code is done in a cross-platform language which is compiled for different operating systems. The differing UI of each OS version becomes the only issue - and as far as i understand is not really that much of an issue. Problems occur however when you hitch your wagon to tools such as .NET and DirectX- a prime reason I do not think you will ever see Revit on Mac for example, there are just so many Windows specific functions that a Mac version would be a total rewrite.

ArchiCAD was originally developed on the mac .. not Windows! It has also been around for over 20 years so it is somewhat understandable that it has an ancient (in software terms) codebase. Graphisoft have been quite tardy in their schedule to modernize this - leading to problems such as the current lack of a 64bit version for Mac caused by the programs use of older non-64bit Carbon frameworks rather than the Cocoa Apple has been pushing people to use for years. Things are changing however and I think it will pay off for Graphisoft.
Cleverbeans wrote:
If you're looking for signs that ArchiCAD is going to be competitive, look for them to replace GDL with a modern programming language, and look for much better documentation. It's possible the core software will still be of poor quality by modern standards, but at least it would be a sign that they're working in the right direction.
Which would probably make it even more opaque to the average user - meaning it needs to have a GUI to enable parametric object creation without learning a programming language (something most architects have no desire - rightly - to do)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
we all know that nemetschek are software designers and programmers..................re-writing archicad for the future should not be a problem but making it work absolutely to meet the architects standard is the challenge.
rightfully thats the first step though, we should all remember that revit was re-written by auto-desk group to finally compete with other BIMS.

for archicad time is seriously ticking. Bentley BIM is also around the corner with a new launch while revit 2011 has started shipping and as for archicad, they are just re-writing the program for 14...........................chances are?
KeesW
Advocate
Oreopoulos
I am a single practitioner and have not been disappointed with AC13. It is much faster than AC12, has useful new features that improve productivity, and is worthwhile. Keeping it in a box when it's been paid for is, in my view, a poor decision. We have 2 subscription licenses and are looking forward to geting, and using, the next version.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
has useful new features that improve productivity
Frogm GS Site

Oriented Views
Annotated Schedule Drawings
Improved Object Handling
Intelligent “Soft” Insulation
DWG Enhancements
Data Exchange with Engineers
Improvements for Slabs/Roofs

Sorry but would you pay the subscription to buy the above list of "new features"?

This is the WORST upgrade EVER of ANY product i own.

In any case if 14 is on the same non existing level of improvement, i ll just stop with subscriptions and move on to another program, although that requires learning another program and paying again to own, that is really improving, since GS really does not know that word.
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos wrote:
has useful new features that improve productivity
Oriented Views
Annotated Schedule Drawings
Improved Object Handling
Intelligent “Soft” Insulation
DWG Enhancements
Data Exchange with Engineers
Improvements for Slabs/Roofs

Sorry but would you pay the subscription to buy the above list of "new features"?

This is the WORST upgrade EVER of ANY product i own.
Did you mean BEST Upgrade Graphisoft ever had....don't forget about Teamwork 2. (They had to modify everything inside the AC13 to work perfectly in Teamwork) ...and for that Teamwork is major improvement for ArchiCAD 13.

For New features we have to wait for NEXT version.
freskim81 wrote:

Did you mean BEST Upgrade Graphisoft ever had....don't forget about Teamwork 2. (They had to modify everything inside the AC13 to work perfectly in Teamwork) ...and for that Teamwork is major improvement for ArchiCAD 13.

......and you know this (about the next version having new features) how??

How do you know that the next version will have new features?

Unless you're a developer (highly unlikely given what we all know of how GS chooses to interact with it's customers) or a beta-tester (in which case you're probably breaking your NDA), how can you possibly know with any degree of certainty that the next version will have new features above and beyond mere bug-fixes and completion of features introduced in earlier versions?

And the benefits and merits of Teamwork 2.0 to individuals and specific clients has been debated on this forums ad nauseaum and whether or not it really qualifies as a worthwhile upgrade of a feature for all is really a subjective thing at this point.

ArchiCAD 13 only had one real major upgrade in features of potential benefit to all, which was the shift to the 64-Bit environment (inevitable anyway, given the current state of technology).

And even that was a half-baked job - just ask Mac users who are still stuck in 32-bit land.
Dwight
Newcomer
i think he made a joke.

Sort of like where Annie sings:
"The sun will come up tomorrow…"
Dwight Atkinson
owen
Newcomer
Bricklyne wrote:
freskim81 wrote:

......and you know this (about the next version having new features) how??

How do you know that the next version will have new features?

Unless you're .. a beta-tester (in which case you're probably breaking your NDA), how can you possibly know with any degree of certainty that the next version will have new features above and beyond mere bug-fixes and completion of features introduced in earlier versions?
I think that comment is pretty safe .. pretty generic and you can always assume there will be something new - i.e a 'feature' - in the next release of ArchiCAD, wether you think it justifies the term is of course up to you.

.. and anyway, as Dwight says i think it was a joke - as in our feature wishes are always just around the corner, but for now be happy with what you've got.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
owen wrote:

I think that comment is pretty safe .. pretty generic and you can always assume there will be something new - i.e a 'feature' - in the next release of ArchiCAD, wether you think it justifies the term is of course up to you.

.. and anyway, as Dwight says i think it was a joke - as in our feature wishes are always just around the corner, but for now be happy with what you've got.

You're right.
I missed the sarcasm the first time I read it.

One tends to lose their ability to 'get' these things whe you hang around these forums too long.

Talking about future versions of ArchiCAD with new features, is like living in a land of mirages and lost hopes and dreams.
Kind of like visiting the wishlist section of this forum and seeing someone post a wish that you vaguely recall posting yourself once before or seeing posted oh so many years ago and a couple of versions back.