Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 14 New Features

Dennis Lee
Booster
See what's on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Archicad#g/c/5C1926DD91A70C7B

Personally, not much in it for me at all!
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
310 REPLIES 310
Wokka
Contributor
Children, children....
Stop be naughty and go play nice somewhere else.
This is an embarrassment!
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:

And you expect that a considerable small (compared with autodesk) team like GS's could address all of your wishes and beat revit in one shot?

Hello Braza
Certainly not ! but don't forget that at the beginning of year 2004 Philippe Raymond wrote:
"10 years ago ( 1994 !), I discovered a nice tool (stairmaker ), assuming the level of the architectural CAD, now, it is a lame duck. Did I miss some future improvement?
My wish? Less automatism and much more flexibility especially for the connection with railing and the shape of the treads (at least the first tread) ...and an acceptable geometry of curved slab bottom and railing"

ok it's here

The version 12 announced us a new writing of stairmaker and it was a joke and even a lie.
Sixteen years later, always nothing !:oops:
Patience with Graphisoft is effectively needed!
Many French users are also very disappointed and tired. They are lost and don't know how to have a constructive way with Graphisoft for their future tools.
Best regards
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Dear Fellow Talkers, let me ask you to keep some basic rules of posting on ArchiCAD-Talk:

#1 - Don't get personal. Everyone's opinion counts. If you have one, voice it but don't try and hammer others for theirs.

#2 - Don't try and win debates by lengthy, many times repeated, arguments. If said once, that's enough - if you feel the need you can still refer back to it with a hyperlink.

#3 - Be constructive. This forum was setup by GRAPHISOFT for users to exchange ideas and to help each other implement ArchiCAD. Open criticism is fine but don't try and wage a war here.

Thank You all for keeping these basic guidelines when you next post on ArchiCAD-Talk.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Dear Fellow Talkers, let me ask you to keep some basic rules of posting on ArchiCAD-Talk:

#1 - Don't get personal. Everyone's opinion counts. If you have one, voice it but don't try and hammer others for theirs.

#2 - Don't try and win debates by lengthy, many times repeated, arguments. If said once, that's enough - if you feel the need you can still refer back to it with a hyperlink.

#3 - Be constructive. This forum was setup by GRAPHISOFT for users to exchange ideas and to help each other implement ArchiCAD. Open criticism is fine but don't try and wage a war here.

Thank You all for keeping these basic guidelines when you next post on ArchiCAD-Talk.
you're right
I cleaned up my posts
Anyway, a complete waste of time.
I got trapped, shall not anymore
Masse wrote:
Braza wrote:

And you expect that a considerable small (compared with autodesk) team like GS's could address all of your wishes and beat revit in one shot?

Hello Braza
Certainly not ! but don't forget that at the beginning of year 2004 Philippe Raymond wrote:
"10 years ago ( 1994 !), I discovered a nice tool (stairmaker ), assuming the level of the architectural CAD, now, it is a lame duck. Did I miss some future improvement?
My wish? Less automatism and much more flexibility especially for the connection with railing and the shape of the treads (at least the first tread) ...and an acceptable geometry of curved slab bottom and railing"

ok it's here

That was one heck of a fascinating thread that you linked to. I stopped visiting the wishlist sections around 7 or 8 years ago, once I discovered that they are like those suggestions boxes that some government offices or restaurants put right over trash bins - so I never really get to read threads like that.

Aside from the fact that the person who originated that thread was essentially doing the same thing he is rebuking people here for doing, there's the fact that it was originally posted in 2004, about a tool (Stairs) that people have always have been complaining about, since the 90's, and by the time it was last posted on in 2007, absolutely nothing had changed with GS doing anything about it.

I mean, it's 2010, and it's not like they've done anything about it this year neither, but still, it was interesting observing in that thread, the evolution of views (like in a time-lapse camera) from mostly positive to just plain frustration at the end with the non-response from GS.

Actually scratch that;

A developer actually did respond in that thread (imagine that, a GS developer responding to users in a thread) :
Laci wrote:
Following the discussion I must admit you are right Stairmaker needs improvements. At its current state it serves more German, European (Continental) needs rather than the standards of Anglo-Saxon traditions.
Some of your quotes are really useful for us, but would be better if you could exactly highlight what you are missing. We have a good idea but there can never be enough examples. If you could enclose drawings, pictures of stairs that you are unable to do by stairmaker would be ideal!
Thanks a lot!
Although the result of said response was just as effective as the wishlist section itself, given what we've been able to observe in terms of improvements to the Stair Tool since then, I can't help but wonder if this developer is actually still working at GS, and whether or not they actually took feedback from that thread or was just sent in to post because they "lost the coin toss" to address the users.

The other interesting thing (though not surprising) was the fact that even back then, in 2006/2007, you still had the old excuse or saying "in the next few versions we should begin to see a lot of the changes and improvements to the program that lot of people have been requesting, now that they have sorted out bug A or B". Kind of like what's being said about what to expect in ArchiCAD 15 (or will that be 16?) on this thread.

And that was back in ArchiCAD 10!

All in all, a fascinating read (if not painful for the people who actually posted in it back then) if you're like me and you never waste time in the wishlist sections and for anyone that's interested in knowing why long-time users are so frustrated when they see a release like AC14 with the so-called new features and why people complain like they do.
Bricklyne wrote:

A developer actually did respond in that thread (imagine that, a GS developer responding to users in a thread) :
Laci wrote:
Some of your quotes are really useful for us, but would be better if you could exactly highlight what you are missing. We have a good idea but there can never be enough examples.......!
.........., I can't help but wonder if this developer is actually still working at GS, ........

Oh cr@p. I just got the answer to that via another thread it seems:
Link wrote:

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:26 am Post subject: Re: Graphisoft's involvement

Wouldn't hold your breath for an answer Marc, Laci doesn't work at GS anymore!

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Link.
If that's the kind of developer that they are losing at GS, it would go a long way in explaining why Graphisoft's interaction with users on this forum and elsewhere is so lacking. It's too bad, because it sure seems like they could use a few more Laci's there.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the step to improve interoperability is a good thing. Many larger firms really want to communicate better with their engineers and they are not using the same software as we do. IFC ís the standard for model and data exchange. There are many programs for engineers out there, each one suits the needs of a particular field. For instance Tekla for Construction, Strusoft for Energy design, but also countless local software developers who use IFC to connect with other CAD software. My point is that it cannot be done by one program only, interoperability is essential. By creating a solid foundation which improves workflow significantly, it will give AC an advantage. (with this cool revit-addin even the dumbest rabbit user can create a usable IFC file)

This will not excite the sole practitioners, but in order to get to the larger firms this a good step. By laying this foundation I reckon GS can focus more on the architect and their needs in the future.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree Masterscript.

The last steps were really necessary.

But GS need to don't forget their small firm users, they need their improvements too (as stairmaker but not only…)…
They don't have ( for the big majority…) the knowledge of CAD managers, they just need to be able to do easily (for the CAD part…) their Architect todays job.

As a lot of user as I know here, they just will stay in their old ArchiCAD versions as long as their actual computer will permit this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why need to make a fuss and hold stairmaker or other device which will still be provided?
With a little trick I do not have to expect stairmaker because the function of SEO can make all of that and ArchiCAD already provide it very much.
So far what I do with patience perseverance make the ladder any model there are no problems occur.
Need patience.
What was the release in the AC14 is a huge development and I praise it, as I believe that individual users are the things the order of a workflow system development programs provided by GS after that will revolutionize what most do not complete the expected user.
I am not a programmer but I envision a systematic AC15 will answer what is debated. hopefully
Sorry if my response was too much.
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have held off on chiming in on this discussion since I'll probably seem like a big GS apologist and all but...

I think the IFC and collaboration improvements are a big deal and very important. Of course I am not unbiased in this opinion since collaboration, interoperability and file conversions are a big part of what I do.

I do agree with the wish for more improvements in the modeling department. And it seems to me that there are dozens of little improvements that would make big differences to a lot of people. If I were in charge of specifying the ArchiCAD upgrades I would make sure that at least a handful of these little fixes and improvements got into each release.