BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

I made this complex profile. It looks ok in plan but in 3d & elevation the corners go all the way out to the edge of the footer.I was wondering if the point of origin might be the problem but it doesnt seem to fix it if I move it. I hope the screen shot shows enough to see what I am doing wrong. Also is there a way to change the footer line to a dashed line.

Thank You for any help

Brian

COMPLEX PROFILE.png
15 REPLIES 15
It is probably not a good idea to have the footing included with the wall anyway.

It's fun to see all that modeling being done at once but in the end it is really not very useful. You can add the footings under your walls with a single click and keeping them on a sperate layer may be important too.

It all depends on how you go about designing things.

Drawn separately there is no problem getting your footing to show up with dashed lines.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

By the way... I see that you have an M90. Very good machine I bet.

I have been using an M60 for several years now as my main work station. I hope you got the WUXGA LCD. 17" right?

I have a Dell 650 Precision Workstaion also but this little bugger does just fine and I can take it with me anywhere.

I have it hooked to a Dell 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2407FP Widescreen but it looks like crap compared to my laptop. I keep ArchiCAD on the big screen and my e-mail and other programs on the laptop screen.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to replicate your problem and it worked perfectly regardless of where I placed the origin. Did you check that the two elements are intersecting exactly?

BTW I also find it more useful to place the foundation separately but it's a matter of choice.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Philip wrote:
I tried to replicate your problem and it worked perfectly regardless of where I placed the origin. Did you check that the two elements are intersecting exactly?

BTW I also find it more useful to place the foundation separately but it's a matter of choice.
I'm not sure what it is it only seems to do it with that wall. I made another one in a different file and it came out right. Then I copied it to the original file and it worked there. And I made a new one in that plan it also worked. Must be something I did in the first wall. They should be intersecting exactly I used the rectangular geometry.

Thank you for your time

Brian
COMP.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
By the way... I see that you have an M90. Very good machine I bet.

I have been using an M60 for several years now as my main work station. I hope you got the WUXGA LCD. 17" right?

I have a Dell 650 Precision Workstaion also but this little bugger does just fine and I can take it with me anywhere.

I have it hooked to a Dell 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2407FP Widescreen but it looks like crap compared to my laptop. I keep ArchiCAD on the big screen and my e-mail and other programs on the laptop screen.

Thank you for the info
I haven't had any problems with the M90. I thought I should get a good machine at least that would eliminate one variable in the learning of a new program. It does have the WUXGA LCD 17" and the NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M 512MB OpenGL card.

Thanks again I guess i will get back to finding out what else I dont know about ArchiCAD

Brian
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It sounds to me like you may have missed the mark with the local origin in the profile editor. This is according to Graphisoft literature:

The generation of the Profile happens according to the following rules:

In case of Walls: if you are looking at Wall from its starting point toward its endpoint, and if you created the Wall using the Left Construction Method (i.e. the body of the Wall extends to the left side of the Reference Line) then the placed Profile wall will face the same direction as shown in the Custom Profile Editor. If you switch the wall’s Reference Line to the other side, or if you view it from its endpoint toward its starting point, you will see the vertically mirrored image of the Profile. The Local Origin of the Custom Profile will placed at the Wall insertion level (base height) as defined in the Wall Settings dialog.

It would probably be best to upload a module of these walls for closer inspection.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
It sounds to me like you may have missed the mark with the local origin in the profile editor. This is according to Graphisoft literature:

The generation of the Profile happens according to the following rules:

In case of Walls: if you are looking at Wall from its starting point toward its endpoint, and if you created the Wall using the Left Construction Method (i.e. the body of the Wall extends to the left side of the Reference Line) then the placed Profile wall will face the same direction as shown in the Custom Profile Editor. If you switch the wall’s Reference Line to the other side, or if you view it from its endpoint toward its starting point, you will see the vertically mirrored image of the Profile. The Local Origin of the Custom Profile will placed at the Wall insertion level (base height) as defined in the Wall Settings dialog.

It would probably be best to upload a module of these walls for closer inspection.

Cheers,
Link.

I selected both walls with all layers on. Then File>External Content>Save Selection as Module. If I need to do something else please let me know

Thank you

Brian
__archiben
Booster
BAS - there's something strange with the geometry of that first wall. by moving the complex profile's origin (or actually moving the complex profile itself relative to the origin) it cleans up most of the junctions . . . also, there looked to be some duplicate stretch lines going on in there that possibly weren't helping.

but! there is always one junction that won't close properly. when selection highlit they display with some strange co-planar geometry . . .

anyways. a new profile seemed to work, no?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Jere
Expert
Ok, i got a little confused there. So when I'm drawing complex profiles, let's assume a wall for now, what direction and relationship should the profile have in reference to the reference point?

I've been drawing them with the exterior facing to the left and the interior facing to the right and haven't had any problems so far.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Learn and get certified!