BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How to Delete/remove a Library part/object from the library?

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. How to Delete/remove a Library part/object from the library?

Such a simple thing to do!
I cannot find help on this in ArchiCAD help in the pdf manual or on line help.

2. How do I find an answer to this type of question in the manuals or on line help without doing a posting?

Thanks Greg.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Greg,
You have to go into your hard drive directory, find the library folder
that contains the part, drag the file out of the folder, and put in
a folder that is not a loaded library folder in your project
or drag it to the trash.
Peter Devlin
Dwight
Newcomer
You sound annoyed. I have sympathy. Sometimes it is not easy to directly find an answer because you don't know the terminology.

Graphisoft doesn't explain how to remove a library part because it is so obvious: Throw away the part by placing it in the trash. It is gone.

Or so we would wish. Except that GS wants you to keep the original library untouched, so for official Archicad Library parts, they make it tricky.

The basic library comes in a special format - almost like an archive - called a library container. This is hard to edit for a reason: because as the Archicad library evolves, users mess up thier libraries, losing functionality. Ask me: A long, sad story. The container approach protects the integrity of the library and lets you swap up to a newer library with confidence, since any objects you add or change are added in a folder that must be manually incuded in the library load and are unaffected by upgrading.

It is a pain to throw away an object "contained" so. You go thru this process: Using the library manager, extract the library to a new folder. Throw away the part you don't want. Create a new container.

But you should always keep the original library container.

Alternatively, you could extract all of the contained elements into a new folder and thro away the parts from there.

Further study: Page 23, Reference manual
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter

Thanks I appreciate the quick reply

Thanks Greg.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Greg,
Please carefully read Dwight's post.
He gives an excellent explanation of things like .lcf files.
I had forgotten that most people do not extract the AC library
but Dwight picked up on that issue immediately.
By the way, why do you want to delete certain library parts ?
Dwight is right, it is not considered a good idea to alter
the AC library.
Peter Devlin
Aussie John
Newcomer
That reminds me of a bug back in version 6 or 7 where if you removed or added a library part while the library was loaded, all the parts on your plan would shift to the next object in the loaded library.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Greg,
Please carefully read Dwight's post.
He gives an excellent explanation of things like .lcf files.
I had forgotten that most people do not extract the AC library
but Dwight picked up on that issue immediately.
By the way, why do you want to delete certain library parts ?
Dwight is right, it is not considered a good idea to alter
the AC library.
Peter Devlin
I have duplicate library parts, due to switch from AC9 to AC10.
The 9 lib is now a pla file. What a mess.

Thanks to all for your help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
My advice is:
1. When continuing to work with project started with AC9 don't load AC 10 Libraries. Continue to work with old libraries.
2. When create new project with AC 10 don't load Libraries from v9. Update your Template. Because of huge differences between v9 and v 10, you probably have to do it anyway.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Miki wrote:
My advice is:
1. When continuing to work with project started with AC9 don't load AC 10 Libraries. Continue to work with old libraries.
2. When create new project with AC 10 don't load Libraries from v9. Update your Template. Because of huge differences between v9 and v 10, you probably have to do it anyway.
Thank you Miki,

That has simplified the Library parts errors I was receiving. Since I deleted the objects that were nondescript dots on the plan.
I now load only one AC9 Library on my projects running on AC10 that were started in AC9.

Q1. How do I deal with the remaining Missing Library Parts (40 surface textures) that show up in the Library Loading Report.
I think these are related to some AC10 objects that must have been inserted while using the AC10 library on this project started in AC9.

Q2. How do I find which objects these textures belong to?
If I can identify the objects in question I will be able to change the textures to AC9 textures.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Anchor1 wrote:
Q1. How do I deal with the remaining Missing Library Parts (40 surface textures) that show up in the Library Loading Report.
I think these are related to some AC10 objects that must have been inserted while using the AC10 library on this project started in AC9.

Q2. How do I find which objects these textures belong to?
If I can identify the objects in question I will be able to change the textures to AC9 textures.
You can find out what materials said textures are mapped to in the attribute manager, but you can only delete/remove the missing textures in the material dialogue, under the 'texture' tab.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Learn and get certified!