BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slabs with Arched Edges not Showing up in 3D

Anonymous
Not applicable
One of my weirdest issues yet:

I have 2 slabs that you will see in the attached .pln file.

They are the same shape, size, height etc, except they are mirrors of each other.

My problem is that the one on the left will show up fine in 3D, but the one
on the right becomes hollowed out and glitchy in 3D.

the slabs are just little peices of a custom sash I am making for a window.
I have drawn them as flat roofs too, just to see if it made a difference, but no.

I have drawn a polyline and magic wanded it for the slab.
I have drawn the slab and mirrored it, and i have just drawn an entirely new slab, I have done this in every combination of ways to create a slab.
If you tweak the arc radius just a little bit it will show up. We don't want it tweaked obviously, but I just tried for fun and it worked in 3D.

In the .pln there are two views- one in plan and one in 3D.
Can someone please open this and see what they think about the whole thing?

Any help would be fantastic.
I have tried on multiple computers and different projects and it just will not fix.
Thank You. I am desperate.

My file size is too big to attach (the zipped file is 257KB *&^%#*^)
So its on a ftp site:

ftp.chary.com
PW: archicad

Thanks AGain!
7 REPLIES 7
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jess:

When I clicked on the link "ftp.chary.com" I was taken to the web page "http://www.bestweb.net/". I am using Safari, is there more information about accessing the file?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David- you will probably need to open it in your windows explorer , through MyComputer" maybe. Thats what I have to do as opposed to entering it in my Internet Explorer.

So

My Computer> "ftp.chary.com" in the address bar
File > Log In As>
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
I am using Safari, is there more information about accessing the file?
I tried cmd-K from Finder but no joy - because the userid has an "@" sign in it, so proper syntax (one @ between userid and ftp address) cannot be used.

Works with Cyberduck, Fire FTP plugin for Firefox, etc. (OS X has really lousy built-in ftp support.)

Jess - maybe you can change the login id to just 'archicad' instead of 'archicad@chary.com'? At least for next time, just so that it is easier for Mac people. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Jess, David,

The problem reproduces just fine by merging your plan contents into a new-from-ac11-template file.

Attached is a MOD file from your pln. Just merge it into a fresh file, and Jess's problem is evident in the OpenGL 3D window.

What is really weird - just looking at it now - is that if I mirror the 'good' slab on the left, then it will not display properly. And, if I mirror a 'bad' slab on the right, then it does display correctly.

OK: it seems to just be an OpenGL bug. Switching to the internal engine, both slabs show up fine. I assume they render fine/etc, so that this is just a 3D display issue, Jess?

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl-
I hadn't actually tried it in the Internal Engine 3D window.
But, yes it does show up fine in elevations.

So- ok then.
I guess we'll just live with it.
I guess I am a bit concerened because we are sending this to print on the Z Printer, and I dont really know how exactly the printer gets it's information, but it seems to use what ever textures we use in Open GL, so I wonder if this glitch will transfer through.

Thanks for your time guys.
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Jess,

I seriously doubt (95%) that it will affect the output to your printer. I suppose one way to confirm would be to save as 3DS from the 3D window and open the 3DS in Artlantis, SketchUp or something else...

I reported this on the GS bug system for some future patch...Your example is a nice one for them to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl.
Learn and get certified!