BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 12 Windows

Erich
Contributor
I am getting a strange behavior with AC 12 windows that I never saw in AC 11. If I change the height (only) of the window it and then click OK to get out of the dialogue to see the result. The height changes but also the location of the window in the wall, and not in any fashion you might expect. See the attached image.

The upper panel shows my initial settings with the window beyond. I then changed the window height to 5'-0". This was the only change! The window resized (fine) and moved (not so fine). In the lower panel I am showing the results from the size change. Notice the size has changed as desired but also the head height relative to the floor level. In fact you can see the floor level location in the lower panel and that the window has dropped below it as a result of it changing the head height.

Does anyone else get this behavior? Am I missing something here?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Erich,

I cannot reproduce the behavior that you show.

With the Anchor set to "Header to Story 1" as in your PDF screenshots, changing the height of the window keeps the header locked - the sill moves up and down as it should. (The custom grid in the center fixed window does get reset to full vertical mullions as in your screenshot, but that has always been the case.)

Not sure why the window would move up and down in the wall for you. Weird.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erich
Contributor
Karl,

Thanks for checking. I will try some other configurations/window-types and some new files to see how reproducible this is for me and see if I can get a fix on the cause.

It is easy enough to work around but somewhat frustrating just the same.

Just BTW I also have some vent windows that do this but in the opposite direction (up not down with a size change).

More later with any luck.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Barry Kelly
Erich wrote:
Karl,

Thanks for checking. I will try some other configurations/window-types and some new files to see how reproducible this is for me and see if I can get a fix on the cause.

It is easy enough to work around but somewhat frustrating just the same.

Just BTW I also have some vent windows that do this but in the opposite direction (up not down with a size change).

More later with any luck.
I can't comment on 12 as I don't have it yet - still waiting!
But in 10 and 11 there is a bug/glitch where if you change the window height in the info box the sill will stay constant and the head will move - even if head is set to wall base or storey.
Change it in the window tool settings dialogue and all if fine - although the height changes to show the sill height (even though head to wall base or storey is set) but it is the correct sill height and the window head does not move.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
It does appear that the head height gets recalculated in a more lengthy way than it used to, as if a macro were running. It appears to change, then get recalculated back to the correct height, so wonder if this "macro" is not completing somehow. Stretching the window vertically (and entering in a value after the stretch starts) in a 3D window seems to not have this issue.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Erich
Contributor
With some more experimentation this morning I have identified what is causing this problem, though not the why.

In the model shown above, I have the walls extended below the floor level, a method I have not previously used. The windows are placed with the anchor set to "Header to Story 1", my typical setting. In this configuration if you change the vertical window size it will reposition the window in the wall as I showed in the previous images. I quickly checked in AC11 and found this same behavior, so this is not something new to 12.

If instead, I set the wall base at the same level as Floor 1 (0'-0" to home story) then changing the window size works as expected in that resizing the window does not change it's position in the wall. Furthermore, if I change the window anchor to the bottom of the wall with the wall extended below it's home story (a location that does not make good sense normally) then the window again behaves normally.

To me this seems like a fundamental flaw in the window behavior and one that should get some attention from GS. I would expect the windows to stay in place when resized regardless of the wall setting or the window anchor point and an overall consistency in window behavior independent of these settings.

At least now that I know of this issue I can work around it.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Karl Ottenstein
Excellent bug tracking, Erich! Easily reproduced now and I'm reporting it to GS. Serious bug IMHO.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erich
Contributor
Karl,

Thanks, I will not worry about reporting to my reseller then.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Erich
Regarding the Knee braces you have in your model, is that an object, and if so, do you mind letting me know where you found it?
Bier
Learn and get certified!